Powered by Blogger.
Monday, August 8, 2011

Two dozen cookies?

So tonight I am making cookies. Coconut oatmeal chocolate cookies and they are made with Gina in mind because she is one of the only people I know that likes coconut as much as I do. However, I am happily mixing my batter and following my cookie recipe and I look at the serving size. 24 cookies the recipe says and with my amazing math skills I instantly think hmmm 2 dozen cookies...perfect!!!

I have finally started to realize that cookie recipes are way optimistic when it comes to serving sizes. Once I started thinking about it I have never made a cookie recipe that predicted an accurate cookie serving size. Do they do this so that the calorie counts are less frightening? Or do they just make up the number since they really have no idea how many cookies this recipe makes? Or do I just make GIANT cookies? So as I am baking my little heart out tonight I started contemplating the complexity of cookie serving sizes. And I have come to the conclusion that cookie recipes are just plain wrong when it comes to cookie serving sizes...the professional cookie recipe writers just make cookies that are too small and not realistic for true cookie consumers. Amen!!!

So here is a picture of my normal sized cookies...which by the way this recipe actually made 16 cookies not 24. It is a Cooking Light recipe but I am not really sure why as it still has butter, sugar, chocolate and coconut in it...oh wait it does have oatmeal so maybe since its good for cholesterol its considered light. But hell who cares they taste good!!


Here is the link if anyone wants to try and make these cookies: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/chocolate-coconut-oatmeal-cookies-10000001835305/
They are super easy to make and they make the house smell way good as they bake. Its one of those easy cookie recipes where you mix the dry ingredients, mix the wet ingredients and put it all together and what do you get....cookies!!! They are also quick to make as once the batter is mixed you just roll them in balls and put them on cookie sheets and throw them in the oven for 15 minutes. So this is the perfect recipe after a 10 hour work day, a 3 mile walk and a 2100 (aka 9pm) desire to start baking.  To all my work guinea pigs (or as Gina calls them G-Force, right?) the cookies will be in your hot little hands first thing tomorrow morning.

3 comments:

  1. Danah, I LOVE coconut too and I will definitely try this recipe tomorrow. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Danah, I made this recipe today, it was a lot of fun and yes, the house smelled so good!

    I did however, amend it slightly... I added walnuts and I used regular chocolate chips instead of the chocolate it called for. That was only because I couldn't find it in the store. I also didn't have eggs, so I used egg beaters.

    All in all, I tasted one of them and it was spectacular. The family enjoyed them too. BTW, I made 8 times the recipe... I have a big family and I also had lots for the freezer.

    Thanks again for this Blog and the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you made the cookies and the additions sound wonderful...love that you also love big cookies

    ReplyDelete

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews