Powered by Blogger.
Thursday, August 11, 2011

The way to my heart....

So its 2011 and I really don't know why we as women are still concerned about the way to the heart of a man. Shouldn't they be trying to impress us, win us over and maintain us. Just saying (head tilt).  And I can definitely say that the way to my heart is definitely through food. I remember when my husband and I first started dating one of my first observations was at a French restaurant when he was repulsed by a salad that he described as "weeds." I remember being so concerned and wondering if we could even continue dating because I knew that I could NEVER be with someone who was a picky eater, food judgmental and not willing to eat/drink their way through life. I learned that he was actually pretty open minded about food and I was able to overcome my fears.

Growing up I have the fondest memories of those who loved me and those I loved cooking for me. It was ingrained in me from a young age that food and the breaking of bread is a tradition that loved ones share. Its funny because its almost as if in my memory bank each of my family members has a signature dish that I remember them for.

Even today it will be a rare occasion when I eat dinner on the couch as I believe that food is about sharing, sitting at a table and exchanging stories of the day/week/life, etc. It is social to me and even when I am eating alone I still try to bring about the tradition of eating and savoring the food/drink that goes into my body and warms my soul.

So let me just say the way to my heart is through food...sure I love a man who cooks but if he is willing to take me out to new and exotic restaurants, try new food and/or cocktails I am in. Sure flowers are great but seriously bring me food and cool food and I am yours for life. So as my birthday quickly approaches it will be no surprise to all of you that for me its all about the food as my only request was a visit to Rick Bayless's restaurant Red O....my countdown is down to 2 days. Heaven!!! I will definitely share my experience.

This week I have seemed to be on an Asian influenced kick. So the 2 recipes I would like to share both come from that genre.  The first recipe is a Tyler Florence recipe and it was that much better as it was waiting for me on a night when I got off work late and I was ready to eat my own foot. It was Tuna Burgers with Carrot Ginger Sauce. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/tuna-burgers-with-carrot-ginger-sauce-recipe/index.html These were really good and although the recipe called for spicy sprouts he used bean sprouts instead and they were great and they provided an added texture and crunch. Hell the fact that this is a man who knows what a bean sprout is...brownie points for sure. And oh yes extra credit is definitely given for an attempt at plating!!

The 2nd recipe I made tonight. I have been battling a headache all day and I wasn't even sure if I was even that hungry. However, I thought some warm comfort food might help my head. And let me just say for those of you who are tofu haters I promise this is my last tofu recipe for awhile because I think I am officially burnt out on tofu. However, this recipe is great as its colorful, has great flavors and is easy to make. And its a Cooking Light recipe so its good for you...if you care.

Spice Stir-Fried Tofu with Snow Peas, Peanut Butter and Mushrooms

1-14oz package extrafirm tofu, drained and cut into 1" cubes
2 tsp canola oil
3/4 lb snow peas, trimmed
1 cup red bell pepper strips
3/4 cup water, divided
1/2 cup sliced green onions
2 tsp minced peeled fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups shitake mushrooms...just so you know don't use the stems
2 T soy sauce...I used reduced sodium and it was great
2 T creamy peanut butter
1 tsp cornstarch
2 tsp Sriracha (hot chili sauce)...this is the red sauce with the green top and it has a rooster on it and know one knows why there is a rooster on it
1/4 tsp salt

1. Place tofu on several layers of paper towels. Cover with additional paper towel and let stand 5 min...this really does help drain all of the moisture from the tofu...I was impressed
2. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over med high heat. Add tofu to pan; cook 7 min or until lightly browned, gently turning occasionally. Remove from pan and keep warm. Add snow peas, bell pepper, 1/4 cup water and next 3 ingredients and stir fry for 3 min. Add mushrooms and stir fry for 2 min.
3. Combine remaining 1/2 cup water, soy sauce, peanut butter, cornstarch, Sriracha sauce and salt. Add mixture and tofu back to pan and cook until thickened. Serves 4 Calories 212

Well as the say at Warner Brothers "that's all folks." So let me leave you with a summary for the men of the world start cooking and for the women sit back and let them take care of you. XOXO


2 comments:

  1. As always I enjoy your stories. I found the following on Wikipedia concerning the rooster:

    The company is named for the old Taiwanese freighter that took Tran to Hong Kong in 1978 and its rooster logo comes from the fact that Tran was born in the Year of the Rooster. The bottles' trademark green top symbolizes the freshness of the chili used.

    And now you know the rest of the story!
    An early birthday wish, hope it is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the story of the red sauce with the rooster. Thank you for the fun facts

    ReplyDelete

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews