Powered by Blogger.
Sunday, August 21, 2011

Burgers and Enchiladas


So I have a strange obsession with food on a stick…I think kabobs are pretty much one of the coolest things ever. Sure they are kind of a pain in the ass to cook because all of the ingredients on the kabob have different cooking needs but they look cool, they are fun to eat and you can always come up with random combinations of foods to put together. I was so bummed a few weeks ago when I went to the fair…ok for several reasons…but I was especially bummed that I could not find meat on a stick…ya know like the teriyaki beef sticks…oh hell to the yum!




This Friday I decided to make deconstructed blue cheese burger kabobs. I am sorry but I fell back into the Better Homes and Gardens recipe trap. I have decided that darn cookbook keeps sucking me in because of the pretty pictures…I will blame it on my adult onset A.D.D. and when I see pretty objects my attention goes to that. So I found this recipe for Blue Cheese Burger Kabobs and ok it sounded cool in the recipe but it was REALLY friggin good!! Here is the recipe:tp://www.bhg.com/recipe/beef/blue-cheese-burger-kabobs/

I bought the ground beef at the Moorpark Farmers Market so it was grass fed beef which was very flavorful. And the grilled onions which became kind of caramelized, the blue cheese meatballs and the charred taste of the mushrooms served with arugula and a hamburger bun was just a great contrast of flavors and textures. I served it with a red table wine and some steamed asparagus with chardonnay salt and it was pretty close to a perfect meal.

Let me just say that  right now I have a blog superiority complex because I got to use the word deconstructed. Haha!

Ok for my vegetarian fans here is a super easy enchilada recipe:



Black Bean and Corn Enchiladas:

1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (110x) Mexicorn **I just used regular corn because I couldn’t find Mexicorn **
1 can (4.5 oz) chopped green chilies undrained
2 cups shredded Colby jack cheese ***I used pepper jack to give some added spice **
1 can (28oz ) enchilada sauce **I used red but you can use green easily **
8 flour tortillas (6-7”)
Added toppings: Shredded lettuce, guacamole, avocado, sour cream, tomatoes

1.     Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 13x9 glass baking dish with cooking spray. In medium bowl mix black beans, corn, green chilies, 1 cup of the cheese and ¼ cup of the enchilada sauce.
2.     Spread ½ cup of the enchilada sauce over the bottom of the baking dish. Spoon ½ cup bean mixture down center of each tortilla. Roll up tortillas and place seam side down in baking dish. **I learned the hard way that you need to roll them up tightly so they don’t lose their fillings ** Spoon remaining enchilada sauce over enchiladas. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup cheese. Spray sheet of foil with cooking spray. Cover baking dish with foil.
3.     Bake 30-35 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Served topped with toppings of your choice.


Random hint: If you are like me and you are always searching for something or somewhere to put bacon fat after you cook bacon your troubles will soon be over. Food Network Magazine recommended that you line a mug with foil and pour the bacon fat in the mug. When it sits it solidifies and you can pull out the foil and through it in the trash and you get to keep your mug. Great idea!

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews