Powered by Blogger.
Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Stew from hell tastes like heaven

So you all got the beginning of my stew story yesterday, but it got worse. So here it is 2230 (10:30pm) and I still have to add the potatoes and carrots. My eyes are heavy but now its me against the stew and I am bound and determined to win. The Olympics keeps adding lame events so next year I am voting for stew making to be submitted as a contest possibility. The timer goes off and I get my ass off the couch trying to control my heavy eye lids and I add the potatoes and carrots. I set the timer for another 30 minutes and I decide to hang out in bed and "read" for the next 30 minutes. Most of the time 30 minutes sounds like nothing, a drop in the bucket of time or whatever the hell that saying is. Well let me just tell you the 30 minutes between 2230-2300 last night felt like an eternity. I kept doing the head bob which I haven't done since I was working graveyards and at least at that point feeling the responsibility of peoples lives in your hands was greater motivation for staying awake. This time my biggest fear was dozing off and burning down the house. As many of you know I have this nemesis called the timer on the stove and for some reason I am hearing impaired when it comes to that tone so I knew that if I fell asleep the timer would DEFINITELY not wake me up.

So as I watched the minutes tick by finally the time came for me to turn off the stew. And I do have to say the pain and suffering was well worth it. This stew is definitely one of the most flavorful stew recipes I have ever had. The broth reminds me of that rich beefy flavor from like French Onion Soup and the meat was extremely tender and hearty. The potatoes and carrots I have decided were just thrown in to keep me awake a little longer and also to help you be able to say that you got your serving of vegetables for the day. Haha. All joking aside this is a great soup recipe and it will be perfect as the fall nights start to approach and the weather gets a little chilly. However, my only piece of advice is to make this on a weekend and start early so you aren't awake waiting on a stew. I do also have to give credit where credit is due so thank you Laura for giving me this recipe. She said she served it with roasted garlic bread from La Brea Bakery and that sounds like it would be a wonderful accompaniment. I would definitely drink a pinot noir or obviously a beer with this stew recipe. And I wasn't about to try and take pictures when you see the pictures that accompany this recipe on the link below

Here is the recipe if anyone is interested: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/01/beef-stew-with-beer-and-paprika/

Now if you are looking for the perfest easy back to school sweet treat this is it. Obviously I don't have kids but as most of you know I am a kid at heart and this made me smile so it should work on your kids...and if not just blame it on me.

Peanut Butter S'More Bars

1 (18oz) pkg refrigerated peanut butter cookies
3 cups mini marshmallows
1/2 cup chocolate chips
3/4 tsp oil
1 cup M&M's

1. Heat oven to 350 and spray 13x9 pan with cooking spray. Spoon cookie dough in bottom of pan and press evenly to form a crust.
2. Bake for 16-19 min or until golden brown
3. Remove pan from oven and sprinkle with marshmallows. Return to oven and bake an additional 2-3 min or until they are puffy. ***Yes you can actually see them get puffy which was new to me ***
4. Meanwhile in a small saucepan melt chocolate chips and oil over low heat stirring until smooth
5. Remove pan from oven and sprinkle with M&M's. Drizzle chocolate mixture over warm bars and cool for approx 45 min.

***Think this recipe is from Pillsbury but I cut it out so long ago and it doesnt say that I am not quite sure ***

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews