Powered by Blogger.
Monday, March 26, 2012

Conquering My Fear of Bananas 1 Recipe At A Time

So when you get a text that says,"hey babe I have 3 over ripe bananas do you want them," your knee jerk reaction is to respond with a "WTF." However, once I was able to move past the thought of "damn this is the creepiest text message I have received all day," I started to think of what I could do with 3 mushy brown bananas...so I googled it. And this recipe for Banana Crumb Muffins came up and since they actually looked good which for me to say anything with bananas in it looks good is a feat in and of itself...so I decided to try them. And I have to say I am impressed...they are good...the taste of banana is not so strong that it is overpowering and they are really moist and I love the taste of the brown sugar crumble on top. Plus I got to use my pink ribbon breast cancer awareness muffin cups so I was all excited about that. And because I made something spur of the moment without going to the grocery store first I felt all innovative and creative.



The muffins are also very easy to make and they would be perfect for an Easter brunch celebration if anyone is planning a soiree like that. It is a little strange that the recipe only makes 10 muffins, does anyone have a 10 muffin muffin pan? Hmmm last time I looked most muffin pans came with 12 holes for muffins. Just an observation.

So start by combining the dry ingredients-flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. For the longest time I only used Kosher salt in cooking and not baking but I have started to use it in both and it seems to work just fine...2nd observation of the day. In a separate bowl mash the bananas and then add the sugar, egg and melted butter. Then combine the dry and wet ingredients only stirring until combined. Fill the muffin cups approximately 2/3 full....I love big muffin tops so mine were probably a little fuller.

In yet another bowl....yes this recipe does dirty a lot of dishes...combine the crumble topping which consists of brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and butter and mush together until its a crumbly texture. Sprinkle on the top of your muffins and bake for 18-20 minutes. Voila! They really are some of the best muffins I have made and I really struggle with saying that because of that key ingredient-banana. But since one of my New Years resolutions was trying to conquer my banana fear....wow look at me go!
As many of you know my muffins in the past have tended to be kind of dense and bordering on a little too hearty and these are definitely more light and fluffy and moist.

Tonight I was planning on making chocolate cloud cookies however when I read the recipe I realized the dough had to sit for an hour and so I had to chose between sleep and cookies and I opted for sleep since I have to work in the morning. Cookies will be forth coming later in the week. Does anyone have any exciting food plans for the upcoming Easter holiday?


2 comments:

  1. Danah,
    I do believe that Hell has frozen over and the Devil is in an ice skating contest! Not only did you bake with the bananas but you tried them too. I not sure I'm ready for news like this!
    Next you should try banana bread, it could possibly win you over with the right recipe. Congrats on conquering your bias towards bananas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment made my day...I will look for a banana bread recipe

    ReplyDelete

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews