Powered by Blogger.
Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Titanic Again!!! Dear God!!!

I know this is going to surprise you but I wasn't one of those hopelessly romantic chicks that thought Titanic was the most amazing love story around. I actually thought "dear god this is a long movie and I hate this Celine Dion song." And so you can only imagine how thrilled I am that its coming back into theaters in 3D. Wow great idea Hollywood lets bring back a movie where the majority of people die a horrific death and make it more realistic for the viewers. Big water, big boat equals big disaster in my book.

 So I was talking to one of my co-workers today who truly is one of those "I love Titanic" people and she was talking about how many times she saw the first one. However, she doesn't like the underwater scenes because she has a fear of drowning...so she is a little concerned about this dang 3D feature. Since I am always trying to be helpful I thought to myself well its still a movie theater....hmmm how about taking off the 3D glasses. Dang this new technology and all the things we have to face, right? Haha

So this week I am working nights and as you know its always a hard adjustment, but to make it better I decided to bribe myself and suck those I work with into a  potluck. So tonight we are all bringing in yummy food....sure I will be using food to stay awake but I have also found that food just makes people happy...hmmm now I sound like an enabler don't I. And ya know what sometimes I am ok with being an enabler especially if it means good food!!! And hell its better to use food to stay awake and not crack...why you might ask...oh that's right I find employment attractive.



I made a Spicy Macaroni and Cheese...I actually made it because I thought 3 of my co-workers were vegetarian however when I mentioned that I found out that 2 of the 3 have fallen off the vegetarian bandwagon. Oh well you still can't go wrong with 4 different types of cheese, heavy cream and pasta. Hell to the yeah!!! I found this recipe on Food Network and its chile powder and pepper jack cheese that gives it the spice.



Cook the elbow pasta according to the package. Meanwhile cube 4oz of cheddar, 8 oz colby and 8 oz pepper jack. When the pasta is done add it to the cheese cubes. In a separate bowl combine flour, salt, pepper, nutmeg (love the smell), chile powder, dry mustard (I didn't have any so I used wet mustard), half and half, heavy cream, an egg and sour cream and combine. Pour the pasta/cheese cubes into a baking dish and pour the cream mixture over it. Sprinkle 4 oz of shredded cheddar over the mixture and bake for 35 min. The recipe also calls for 4 slices of bread that are cubed and cooked in butter and then used as a topping over the pasta...however the pasta/cheese looked so good after 35 minutes that I decided to leave off the bread because I didn't want anything to distract from the cheesy heavenly nature of this dish.

This is the perfect dish for potlucks or get togethers. Its easy to make, easy to transport and easy to eat. It has a lot of different flavors and the combination of cheeses makes this a fun spin off from traditional mac n cheese. It is extremely creamy due to the sour cream mixture and has just a hint of spice but nothing over powering. I do have to say a glass of wine definitely would have improved this perfection however I do frown on drinking at work....see above reference employment being attractive. Hope everyone is having a good week. Cheers!!!





2 comments:

  1. That looks really good, I'm going to try that soon. I have to remember not to read your blog until after lunch because if I read it before lunch I get so hungry it is a distraction. Keep up the great recipes!
    Considering the difficulty of your job, having fun with food while working is probably good therapy and a great way to relieve the stress.
    Keep on blogging, the blogs are as addictive as the recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should totally try the mac n cheese...think you would really like it. I always read cookbooks and I have to be cautious of when I read them because sometimes I will be going to bed, reading a cookbook and end up starving!!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews