Powered by Blogger.
Thursday, March 15, 2012

Damn my cooking a.d.d

So I took Wednesday off work since I have to work this Friday and I started off my morning craving grilled steak. Ya know how sometimes your body just craves protein that was pretty much me. And since I think about food constantly I had the perfect recipe in mind-Cowboy Steak with Whiskey Butter. I decided to go by Novy Ranches and get some grass fed beef and then stop at a grocery store to get the rest of my ingredients. I knew that I had to make my butter at least 3 hours ahead of time so I wanted to be prepared for my perfect meal.

Sure enough before I went to the gym I let my butter sit out so it could soften, let my shallots soak in whiskey just as the recipe said and then mixed in the parsley and spices to my butter/shallot concoction. I carefully rolled it into a log and put it in the refrigerator for its designated 3 hours. And hence that is where it is still sitting as I promptly forgot about it. I have the worst attention deficit disorder...self diagnosed of course....I am truly one of those people who chase shiny objects, get distracted by something pretty, funny, moves fast or smells good. And hence the forgotten butter.

So yes I went to the gym, had a great workout and came back famished and ready to eat my visionary grilled steak. I let the steak sit out until it was room temperature and rubbed it with olive oil and my cowboy rub which consisted of 3 different types of chile powder, smoked paprika, white pepper and salt. It smelled earthy, spicy and smokey and it just seemed like it would be a perfect combination for the tender rib eye steaks I purchased. So on the grill they went and they cooked quickly to perfection. From the grill they went directly on my plate and they were completed with caesar salad and a good glass of red wine. And yet my whiskey butter still continued to sit in the fridge.

You would have thought that at some point during the meal I would have been like hmmm these steaks are missing something, gosh where is my whiskey butter or crap I forgot my whiskey butter but alas none of those thoughts even remotely entered my mind. It wasn't until I was cleaning the kitchen and putting away the leftovers that I opened the fridge and exclaimed with horror,"shit I forgot the whiskey butter."

So yes here is the recipe for Cowboy Steak with Whiskey Butter but I can only truly vouch for the Cowboy Steak part....great rub and great warm summer meal. As for the whiskey butter it looks damn good in my fridge and I have a hell of a lot of it so if anyone needs some butta' please let me know.



I did however discover a really cool place in Westlake Village this week called Vom Foss. It is a European chain that has 5 American stored and it has oils, vinegars and liquor like whiskey and scotch but the cool thing is that you can taste everything before you purchase it. The store is a German chain and the name means "from the cask." I seriously could have spent hours there tasting the different between Spanish, French, Greek and Italian olive oil or the difference between the balsamic vinegars that have been aged for varying periods of time. They have flavor infused oils such as rosemary, garlic and pepper oils. I stayed away from the whiskeys and scotches just because the alcohol content is instant death for me. But the oils and vinegar were a lot of fun to taste, high quality and really gave the store a festive atmosphere. I ended up walking out with some Spanish olive oil which has a strong olive flavor and is very buttery. I also purchased some Spanish red wine vinegar which will be too die for over a Caprese salad for the summer. I definitely recommend this place and I will be back....because as many of you know I truly am an olive oil snob.

Hope everyone is enjoying there week...we have rain coming to Southern California this weekend...so I am really hoping I don't melt. I am also working tomorrow night and I am looking forward to potluck #2...think I am bringing brownies...but Marl that could change.

Has anyone been to the Falafel Grill in Agoura Hills? i love falafels and I was thinking of trying it. So glad I now know where my love of falafels came from. XOXO

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews