Powered by Blogger.
Thursday, March 29, 2012

Happiness Is....

Working for a city that has Cesar Chavez Day off so Happy Cesar Chavez Day y'all! Yes while most of you slave over your jobs today I am lounging around celebrating. Actually as I type I am contemplating how exactly I want to celebrate this glorious holiday....the options are so overwhelming...and the traditions have not been established yet so its pretty much a celebration free for all.

In case you don't know who Cesar Chavez is let me tell you...he was an American farm worker, labor leader and civil rights activist. He started the National Farm Workers Association. I tried to look on-line to see what kind of food he liked but I wasn't coming up empty handed so I don't know how exactly to commemorate him. Since he is a Mexican American I decided that the shrimp tacos I made the other night will have to do.



So I made Shrimp Tacos with Mango Slaw and this was a really light and flavorful meal. Although it worked for March I would definitely reserve it for more of a warm Summer evening with a good bottle of cerveza.

The tacos have a dressing on them which is made from mayonnaise, Sriracha (the red Thai sauce with the chicken on it), lime juice, sugar and cilantro. You put all of the ingredients in the food processor and give it a whirl.



Once the sauce is done throw the shrimp in the sauce and then cook the shrimp is 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil. The recipe said they only needed to cook 3 minutes but I cooked them a little longer until they were completely opaque.

The mango slaw is super easy. Chop the cilantro, red onion and mango and throw it in a bowl with some coleslaw mix and the remaining sauce. Add salt to taste

Warm up crispy taco shells in the oven and then compile your tacos. You can serve them with a little extra Sriracha if you are as crazy about that sauce as I am. I served the tacos with Chardonnay and that worked but I think beer would have been better...just saying.



Happiness is also caprese salad and a good bottle of pinot grigio. I used the Spanish olive oil and red wine vinegar that I bought at Vom Foss and I made a caprese salad this past weekend. There is truly nothing better than soft mozzarella cheese, ripe tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper and good quality olive oil and vinegar. Heaven!!

Well hope you all have a good day. I now have to get back to my holiday. Cheers!


1 comment:

  1. Well, I for one am impressed! There are so many ways to celebrate Cesar Chavez Day, one being working at a soup kitchen or community center. However, you did way better. You educated your blog followers on the holiday itself. Great job Danah, I am proud of you!!!

    Marisela

    ReplyDelete

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews