Powered by Blogger.
Friday, March 23, 2012

Italian Comfort Food & More

Do you ever have those days where you just crave warm cozy food? Today was one of those days for me so I was debating on what type of comfort food needed to be on the menu tonight....hmmm should I go traditional with meatloaf and mashed potatoes, dessert with chocolate cake or oh yeah Italian!!! However, Italian comfort food could be a category in and of itself...lasagna, pizza, cannoli or hell pretty much any type of pasta. However, thanks to Erin's Mom who told her "Friday was spaghetti and meatball night," I had spaghetti and meatballs stuck in my head. And surprisingly I had been carrying around a penne pasta and meatball recipe with me for quite some time.



I have to admit that even though I do a great deal of Italian cooking I do not have a lot of meatball experience. So tonights recipe had me mix ground beef, breadcrumbs, garlic, salt and milk in a bowl to make the meatball mixture. And at first glance I truly thought they were too liquidy and they would just fall apart in the pan. However, once they were shaped into balls and I started to brown them in butter they stuck really well and they were very moist and not dry at all like some meatballs can get.

So while I was cooking the meatballs I was also cooking the penne pasta. Once the meatballs were browned I added cream, vodka, tomato paste, red pepper flakes (I actually probably could have added more than the recipe called for) and another clove of garlic. Simmer covered for 5 minutes and then add a can of drained tomatoes and parmesan. The sauce was very creamy with a hint of spice from the peppers and mild acidity due to the tomatoes and tomato paste. Serve the sauce and meatballs over the pasta and this truly was one of the best meals I have made in a long time. No Cooking Light or low fat deal about it but damn it was good. I served it with a bottle of Opolo Merlot and I have to say that the wine was good by itself but it was much better with the food and it truly complimented the tomato vodka cream sauce.

Hearty Penne Alla Vodka
1lb penne
1lb ground beed
1/3 cup plain dry bread crumbs
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1T butter
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup vodka
3T tomato paste
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1 an (15oz) diced tomatoes drained well
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3T fresh basil (which I forgot to put on the pasta)
Additional Parmesan if needed

1. Cook penne in a large pot of lightly salted boiling water until al dente; firm but tender. Drain well

2. Meanwhile combine beef, bread crumbs, half of garlic, salt and milk in a bowl. Shape into about 16 1" balls.



3. Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over med heat. Add meatballs, cook 6 minutes turning as they brown. Add cream, vodka, tomato paste, red pepper flakes and remaining garlic to skillet. Simmer covered 5 min. Stir in tomatoes and Parmesan cook 1 min or until heated through

4. Spoon meatballs and sauce over cooked pasta. Sprinkle with basil. Serve with additional Parmesan if desired.


Ok so if you are trying to counteract the cream of this meal here is a low fat meal that you can make the next night. I actually made this last night Salmon with Smashed Peas. I wasn't sure of the whole smashed pea thing just because well smashed peas don't sound very exciting. But these were cooked with caramelized leaks, lemon juice and salt and it was really tasty. The salmon is served on top of the puree and the color contrast was really pretty. My only word of advice is that the pea puree smells kind of odd so maybe just don't put your nose in the mixture before you try it.

On a side note my dog had 2 tumors removed last week and he kind of looks like Franken-dog due to his large incisions and stitches from his surgery. And as part of his post-op advice we were told to put frozen vegetables wrapped in a towel on his incisions. So when I made the ingredient list for the salmon and smashed peas I had to remind someone to buy peas and they did not understand why the frozen peas that had been on the dogs ass couldn't be used for dinner. Hmmm I don't know I just don't care that the peas are in a package and encased in a towel my general rule is if food has touched someone or somethings ass it is no longer edible, isn't that a given? Just saying.

So I have had a request to get away from cookies and brownies and try pies and cakes, does anyone have any good recommendations?

1 comment:

  1. You are making me hungry again and I just had dinner(lentils and spinach). I've never cooked meatballs in butter always in olive oil but I will try it before passing judgement.
    Good stuff, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews