Powered by Blogger.
Tuesday, October 1, 2013

How to roast beets in a crock pot and turn them into a salad...


Let me start by saying I love beets. I specifically love roasted beets, however I do not care for the time involved in roasting beets. Getting me to sit still for 45 minutes while a beet roasts is kind of a miracle. So when I read about "roasting" beets in a crock pot I knew I was going to have to give it a go. I love the idea of throwing food stuff in a "machine," and being able to wander off for hours without burning down the house. Yes, I am that girl that is notorious for leaving candles burning...you can only imagine how well that went over during my fireman phase. 



I was a little concerned because the recipe I saw just had you throw the beets into the slow cooker, skins and all, without any other ingredients. So I did have visions of burnt beets and I became incredibly more nervous as I started to smell them. But low and behold 3 hours later (on high), the beets came out of the crock pot absolutely perfect. They were also by far the easiest batch of beets I have ever peeled. Truly the skins practically fell off them. 


And because it is October 1st, I took the liberty of taking and posting one beet picture that is kind of reminiscent of Halloween...fair game, right?


So back to the salad....I even made my own vinaigrette. I just used 6T of olive oil, 2T red wine vinegar, 1tsp Dijon mustard, 2T shallots and salt and pepper. I just put the ingredients in a bowl and whisked them together. Perfection!


Next take 6 cups of baby greens. I actually used Spring salad mix from a bag and it worked great. Toss with 1/2 of the salad dressing. 

Toss the sliced beets into the other half of the dressing.

Toast 1 cup of walnuts, I used pieces but chopped would work fine as well.  I just put them on a cookie sheet and put them in the oven for 7 minutes at 375 degrees (thanks MC for the tip).

Finally put some of the salad mix on a plate, top with some beets, sprinkle with Roquefort or other blue cheese and walnut pieces. 


I loved this salad! I loved the earthy taste of the beets as it was contrasted with the blue cheese, the tang from the Dijon mustard and vinegar, the toasted slightly charred flavor of the walnuts and just the smooth texture of the olive oil. This salad and a glass of wine could keep me content for days! 


It is also the perfect Fall recipe and it could also be fun for Holiday entertaining, especially since the time consuming part, roasting the beets, can be done while you do something else....or while you drink more wine. Happy Tuesday and Happy First Day of October! Cheers!

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews