Powered by Blogger.
Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Pumpkin Recipe #3/#4-Pumkin Bread and Pudding

So my reign of pumpkin terror continues. Has anyone else noticed that people are either pumpkin fiends or they dislike pumpkin immensely? I haven't met anyone who has just an eh attitude towards pumpkin. I love the people who have the pumpkin calendar countdown like I do. My BFF and I actually first bonded over pumpkin spice lattes and we have been besties ever since...you know what they say...the friends who eat or drink pumpkin together stay together, that was the context right?

Pumpkin Pudding




Pumpkin Quick Bread





So this week I have tried two new pumpkin recipes-Pumpkin Pudding and Pumpkin Quick Bread.

Let's start with the Pumpkin Pudding. I was honestly expecting it to taste like pumpkin pie filling and it doesn't. So if that is what you are hoping for, please stay away from this recipe. However, it has a different flavor as it is made with coconut milk and it has almond extract added to it. So it has an almost nutty, savory taste to it. And honestly I really like it, but it is different.


The pudding is so very easy! Combine 2 cups of coconut milk, 2 cups of pumpkin (as a side note 2 cups is one 15oz can for both the coconut milk and pumpkin), 3/4 cup sugar, 3T cornstarch, 3 egg yolks, 1/4 tsp almond extract and 1/4 tsp salt.


 In a pot bring to a boil and cook, stirring with a whisk, for 10 minutes or until thick. Be prepared for the mixture to cook down, do not be alarmed. And be careful if you are using a metal whisk, come to find out it can get hot and burn the hell out of your hand. Chill the pudding.


Now for the Pumpkin Bread, let me just say that this is one of the moistest pumpkin breads I have ever made. This is probably due to the stick of melted butter and the sour cream. I loved the spice from the pumpkin pie spice. And if you are looking to make this bread even more decadent, slice it and spread nutella on it. Seriously I think I heard angels singing!!


To make the bread, whisk 1 cup pumpkin, 2 eggs, 1 stick melted butter, 1/2 cup sour cream and 1 tsp vanilla. Mix the dry ingredients in a separate bowl, 1 1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda and 1/2 tsp salt.


Combine the wet and dry ingredients. Bake in an oiled 9x5 pan for 1 hour at 350 degrees.


Now just in case you wanted a few pumpkin facts, let me help:

  • California is one of the top 4 pumpkin producing states in the US
  • Approx 1.1 billion pounds of pumpkins are produced a year...translation that is a lot of pumpkins
  • Pumpkins originated in Central America
  • The larges pumpkin pie was 350lbs and 5 ft in diameter...I did not make it
  • Pumpkins have been used to remove freckles and cure snake bites...I have some pumpkin smeared on my face right now hoping to diminish my freckles...stay tuned
  • Pumpkins are a fruit
  • The whole jack-o-lantern thing started with Irish immigrants 
  • Pumpkins come in many colors, not just orange, they can also be found in green, yellow, red, white, blue and tan


I loved that both of these recipes were extremely east, screamed Fall, added to my pumpkin obsession and just down right made me happy. Happy Hump Day!!

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews