Powered by Blogger.
Saturday, October 26, 2013

Pumpkin Risotto-I knocked this one out of the ballpark!

I couldn't resist the baseball analogy, seeing as the World Series is going on and all. But all joking aside, this is probably one of my favorite recipes! We all know I cook a lot and although most of the recipes I make are pretty good, this one is awesome! I actually have plans to make this again. Yes, that is saying a lot seeing as I am not one of those chefs that has a repertoire. I am one of those chefs that now you see it and now you don't. I truly never make most things a second time, or at least the same recipe a second time.



To start with I loved the sage and onions, the flavor that the sage provided gave the risotto a really nice herbal taste. The onions were cooked, but not mushy and added a nice texture to the risotto. The risotto itself was really creamy and I loved the nutty flavor from the Parmesan cheese. In the past when I made risotto the recipes called for simmering chicken broth that you added to the risotto warm. This recipe just had you add the chicken broth, but it did not impact the texture in any way. The pumpkin was subtle, but added a great Fall color to the dish. If someone hadn't told me there was pumpkin in this recipe I don't think I would have been able to pick it out. So if you are not a huge pumpkin fan, I would still try this recipe because I don't think you would be disappointed.


Saute a chopped onion and sage leaves in olive oil. I kept the sage leaves whole and that worked perfectly. I probably used about a tablespoon of olive oil, but you could probably use more or less.


Stir in 2 cups arborio rice. Remember the type of rice you use for this recipe does make a difference. Arborio is the Italian risotto rice and using a different varietal will change the texture of the dish.

Stir in 1/2 cup white wine until absorbed. Loved this part of the recipe as this allowed my BFF and I to drink the rest of the bottle as we cooked, and risotto takes a lot of stirring so we were pretty parched.

Gradually add 6 cups of chicken broth, stirring until absorbed. And seriously don't dump the whole 6 cups in at once, definitely add it gradually, stir it until it has dissipated and then add more.


Whisk in 3/4 cup pumpkin. Stir in 2 T butter and 1 cup grated Parmesan.


And let the love affair with pumpkin risotto begin! This would truly be the perfect meal for Halloween night or a great Thanksgiving side dish.

Special thanks to my BFF who was my food photographer and risotto stirer (I don't think that is a word, but I am going with it).

I served this risotto with Turnbull Sauvingon Blanc, however I did not take a picture, well because we enjoyed drinking it immensely, and by that time we weren't really thinking of photos. How is that for honesty?

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews