Powered by Blogger.
Sunday, October 27, 2013

Roasted Asparagus & Arugula Salad with Poached Egg

Ok I know I am a little obsessed with poached eggs, but I can't help it. They are easy to make, a good source of protein and they just make everything more yummy (yes that is the technical phrase). It was actually pretty funny, I was watching Top Chef the other night and the editor of Food and Wine magazine was the judge. The challenge to the chefs was to make a dish that convinced her that the food trend shouldn't be yesterdays news, and one of the trends was poached eggs. And to make matters worse another trend that was named, was bacon. I am sorry, but I just don't think poached eggs or bacon should ever go out of style, just my opinion.


So I have to say I hurt, so one of my motivators for dinner tonight involved creating a meal that didn't require me to move, be on my feet or lift too much. I went to a boot camp yesterday and I ran 8 miles today so I am in a fair amount of pain and I am sure it is slightly comical to see me move around the kitchen.

I loved this recipe! I love the spice from the arugula, the hint of anise flavor from the tarragon and the citrus from the lemon! The poached egg paired well with the woodsy roasted flavor of the asparagus and the spicy salad. This recipe would be great for a breakfast or brunch or as a play on breakfast for dinner, like I did.  It feels healthy, but it still has great flavor! I definitely recommend this one!

So first of all roast asparagus in the oven. Sprinkle the asparagus with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast in a 450 degree oven. The recipes says to roast the asparagus for 5 minutes, but I found 8-9 minutes was more accurate, unless you like your asparagus really crunchy. 


On a side note, I noticed that Trader Joe's has purple asparagus right now, which I didn't buy, but I totally thought I should have, after the fact. I thought the purple asparagus would have been a nice contrast with the green of the salad and the white of the egg, next time. 


Next make the salad dressing, which is olive oil, salt, pepper, shallots, lemon juice and tarragon. Toss the arugula in the dressing.


Bring a pan of water to a simmer, adding vinegar. Poach the eggs.

1 pound green asparagus, trimmed
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
3 tablespoons minced shallots
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon
1 (5-ounce) package baby arugula
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
4 large eggs
4 (3/4-ounce) slices Italian bread, toasted and cut in half diagonally
Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 450°.
2. Place asparagus on a jelly-roll pan. Drizzle with 2 teaspoons oil; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Toss gently to coat; arrange in a single layer. Bake at 450° for 5 minutes or until crisp-tender.
3. Place remaining 7 teaspoons oil, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, shallots, juice, and tarragon in a large bowl; stir well with a whisk. Add arugula; toss gently to coat. Place about 1 1/2 cups arugula mixture on each of 4 plates. Top each serving with one-fourth of the asparagus.
4. Add water to a large skillet, filling two-thirds full; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer. Add vinegar. Break each egg into a custard cup, and pour each gently into pan; cook 3 minutes or until desired degree of doneness. Carefully remove eggs from pan using a slotted spoon; place 1 poached egg on each salad. Sprinkle with remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Arrange 2 bread halves on each serving.

Serve the arugula salad, topped with asparagus and the poached egg. I did drizzle the egg with a little mustard sauce, just because I love mustard and I served the dish with baguette slices. This dish would be wonderful with a Sauvignon Blanc or a citrusy Pinot Gris. 

Hope everyone has an incredible week ahead. Cheers!

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews