Powered by Blogger.
Friday, October 11, 2013

Pulled Pork

It just seems as the weather gets colder you start to crave food that is a little more homey, hardy and well not so healthy. So today I decided to take a stab at making Pulled Pork in the slow cooker. My desire to cook Pulled Pork started last week when I was at this craft fair. While I was there I had this sample of the most incredible beer garlic bbq sauce, which they served on pulled pork. So of course I had to take a stab at it and make it myself.



So to start with, if you are looking for an incredible bbq sauce, I definitely recommend Vintage Vine Beer Garlic BBQ Sauce. It is truly one of the most amazing bbq sauces I have ever tasted. Here is the web page: http://www.finewinejelly.com/index.html


Next I came across this easy crockpot pulled pork recipe from Food Network. Now just in case you wanted a little pulled pork trivia let me help out:

  • Pulled pork got it's name from the fact that the pork, after being slow cooked, can be "pulled' aka shredded because it is so tender
  • Pulled pork is found in several different regions/countries, however the American South is often attributed as being the motherland for pulled pork
  • Traditionally it is made in a smoker, however it can also be made in a slow cooker 
  • Normally the pork shoulder is made to make pulled pork

This recipe starts with a dry rub. So combine brown sugar, I used smoked brown sugar to enhance that smokey flavor, paprika, mustard powder, cumin, salt and pepper. 

Rub the mixture all over the pork.


Brown the pork on all sides in a pan that has 2 tsp of vegetable oil.  I used olive oil because I was out of vegetable oil and that worked just fine. 


Remove the pork after it is browned. 

Add 3/4 cup of water to the pork cooking pan and scrape up the cooking bits. Add to the slow cooker and whisk in apple cider vinegar, tomato paste and water. 

Cook for 8 hours on low in a slow cooker. 


Remove the pork and shred, I used 2 forks, and that worked great. 

This recipe says to take the juices out of the slow cooker and boil down, which I did, however I choose to add a bottle of bbq sauce to my shredded pork instead. I just really loved the flavor of this bbq sauce, so I decided, why mess with a good thing. 

I served my pulled pork on potato buns and covered it with coleslaw. 



3 tablespoons light brown sugar
2 teaspoons hot paprika
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1 3-to-4-pound boneless pork shoulder, trimmed of excess fat
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar, plus more to taste
3 tablespoons tomato paste
6 potato buns
Barbecue sauce and prepared coleslaw, for serving
Directions
Combine 1 tablespoon brown sugar, the paprika, mustard powder, cumin, 2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl. Rub the spice mixture all over the pork.

Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet; add the pork and cook, turning, until browned on all sides, 5 minutes. Remove the pork and transfer to a plate; whisk 3/4 cup water into the drippings in the skillet. Transfer the liquid to a 5-to-6-quart slow cooker.

Add the vinegar, tomato paste, the remaining 2 tablespoons brown sugar and 2 cups water to the slow cooker and whisk to combine. Add the pork, cover and cook on low, 8 hours.

Remove the pork and transfer to a cutting board. Strain the liquid into a saucepan, bring to a boil and cook until reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Season with salt. Roughly chop the pork and mix in a bowl with 1 cup of the reduced cooking liquid, and salt and vinegar to taste. Serve on buns with barbecue sauce and coleslaw.

These sandwiches are awesome! The pork was so tender that it just fell apart the minute you touched it. It had great flavor from the crock pot and with the addition of a really good bbq sauce, it was unstoppable. The coleslaw I bought had a little spice to it, maybe a hint of horseradish, and it was the perfect contrast with the sweetness from the bbq sauce. It was truly just a little slice of heave and this is definitely a recipe I recommend. Have an incredible weekend. Cheers!

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews