Powered by Blogger.
Friday, October 18, 2013

Matzoh Balls in Brodo (broth)

I have an obsession with all things Jewish! I think it stems from the fact that my biological father is/was Jewish and so attempting to learn about the culture and cuisine is almost my way of understanding my father, who I have never met. I also love the sense of community and tradition that surrounds the Jewish faith. And if we want to prioritize Jewish food traditions, matzoh balls would definitely come out on the top 3, if not #1. Kind of like marinara sauce for Italians, every Jewish family has their own recipe for matzoh balls and their own beliefs as to the texture and ingredients that should be included in that recipe.



For example, there is quite the debate on the texture of a matzoh ball. I have eaten at quite a few Jewish delis and I have found that several of the restaurants have "gut bomb" style matzoh balls, however the ones I made tonight were light and fluffy. At first I thought I had done something wrong, since my balls weren't dense enough, I thought. However, I quickly learned that the recipe I selected, just made a lighter and fluffier varietal. I also found that the litany of ingredients and techniques that can be used to make matzoh balls is a mile long. If you are interested in the history and diversity of matzoh balls this is an awesome article: http://www.jewishjournal.com/cover_story/article/thinking_outside_the_matzah_ball_box_20090325

If anyone has a Jewish Mother or Grandmother they would like to loan to me I would love to learn from the best! Wouldn't that be the greatest Craig's List Ad: Wanted-Jewish Grandmother who can cook and is willing to share family recipe secrets on how to make Matzoh Ball Soup. Must be made with love.

As for the matzoh ball soup I made tonight, let me just say I loved it! When I was cooking it, I was concerned that it was just too simple and boring. I was also concerned about my matzoh balls because the balls were small and unexciting, however I was thrilled to see how much they puffed up and grew in the broth. It was almost like watching one of those sponge capsules we all had as a kid, ya know the ones that looked like vitamins until you put them in water and then they turn into sponge dinosaurs, bugs and other shapes. My matzoh balls were kind of like that, however not dinosaur shaped.


This recipe combined egg, ricotta cheese, Parmesan, olive oil, salt, pepper and matzoh meal to make the balls. Have you ever seen matzoh meal? This was my first experience cooking with it and although I hate to say this, it kind of looks like kitty litter. Thankfully it doesn't taste the same, wait I have never tried kitty litter, but the matzoh meal tastes kind of like a cracker and I don't imagine kitty litter is in the cracker family.

Next form the mixture into balls, after it has sat for 10 minutes.


Bring the vegetable broth and garlic to a boil. I thought, initially, that this sounded like a very boring soup base. However, the garlic really infused a lot of flavor. I did add some salt, just because I used low sodium vegetable broth.

Add the matzoh balls to the boiling broth and simmer for 30 minutes. Next add the sliced carrots and simmer for another 10 minutes.

Serve the matzoh balls in brodo with a smattering of Parmesan and tarragon leaves.


1 large egg
2 tablespoons fresh ricotta cheese
2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more for garnish
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup matzoh meal
6 cups vegetable stock or low-sodium broth
2 garlic cloves, lightly crushed
1 small carrot, thinly sliced
Tarragon leaves, for garnish

In a bowl, whisk the egg. Whisk in both cheeses, the oil, salt and pepper. Stir in the matzoh meal. Let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes, then gently form into 1-teaspoon-size balls.
In a medium saucepan, bring the stock to a boil with the garlic. Add the matzoh balls, cover and simmer over moderate heat for 30 minutes. Add the carrot, cover and simmer until the carrot is tender and the matzoh balls are puffed and light, about 10 minutes longer. Ladle into bowls. Garnish with tarragon and grated cheese.



It was wonderful! I was so proud of my matzoh balls and how light, fluffy, nutty and flavorful they were. I loved the constast with the garlic broth. Sure I would have liked a few other types of vegetable varietals, but this was an awesome first attempt at matzoh ball soup, in my opinion! Cheers!

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews