Powered by Blogger.
Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Pasta with Chorizo and Chickpeas

I swear the psychological component to food is so powerful! This is a great pasta recipe don't get me wrong, but it was made even better by the fact that I got to go for a run tonight and it was a beautiful warm night with a large moon. I also got to cook, with the Dodgers game in the background and a cold beer in my hand. It was truly one of those life moments that just give cause for celebration. Ya know how sometimes it truly is the simple things that just make you happy. For me, tonight was one of those nights. 



Let me start with a heat warning: *** Caution: This recipe has spice to it! *** I love spicy food, however if you are not a fan of a little zest in your cuisine, please stay away from this recipe. I do not want to be responsible for your nose running, your eyes watering, upset stomachs or mouths on fire. Just sayin'

I found this recipe in Bon Appetit and I love the fact that this recipe has protein in the form of chickpeas, carbs from the pasta and a sauce with an original flavor. Too often we all get stuck in that marinara and pasta sauce rut, but using chorizo instead really adds an original spin to this recipe. 


Let's start with some important information about chickpeas aka. garbanzo beans. Please do not be confused by labels, they are the same bean. Also did you know?
  • They are one of the oldest legumes, remains have been discovered in the Middle East dating back 7,500 years. The ones I used were a little fresher. 
  • The name chickpea originated from French origins and the name garbanzo bean originated from Spanish origins, hence the duel naming for the same bean.
  • Ground roasted chickpeas have been used as a coffee substitute. I just don't think it would be quite the same, but I haven't tried it so I will keep an open mind. 
  • India is the largest producer of chickpeas.
  • Chickpeas are a high source of protein, folate and zinc

Ok enough about the chickpea let's talk about this pasta recipe. 

Saute chopped shallots in olive oil. Add chorizo and brown.


Next add tomato paste and red pepper flakes. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil and then reduce and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Add the chickpeas and cook for another 2 minutes or until heated through. 

Cook the pasta in boiling salted water, for approximately 9-11 minutes. 


Add the pasta to the sauce, along with 1/2 cup of pasta cooking liquid. Cook until the sauce is thickened. 

Serve with grated Parmesan, parsley and lemon zest. 


I loved the spice from the chorizo! It was nicely complemented with the earthy flavor of the Parmesan and the chickpeas. The texture from the pasta and the garbanzo beans was a really nice complement. This pasta recipe was incredible with an ice cold beer! Cheers!


0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews