Powered by Blogger.
Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Cafe Du Monde-New Orleans

I am in New Orleans!! Let's celebrate for just one second!! This is my first time here and let me just say I am in downright friggin food heaven. I have no itinerary or agenda, I am just along for the ride. And we will talk more about food later, but let's start this adventure by talking about one of the most well known NOLA establishments-Cafe Du Monde. 




I have been planning this trip for months and seriously whenever I tell anyone I am going to New Orleans the response is the same,"make sure you go to Cafe Du Monde for beignets." My response is also always the same,"ok." What the hell am I supposed to say, right?


Well so as not to disappoint that was one of my first stops. Ok sure there were a few detours, maybe including bbq'd oysters, jell-o shots and other shenanigans but we will talk about those later. Cafe Du Monde was truly incredible. We sat outdoors, late at night with our coffee and beignets and just people watched. It was truly heaven!!


Cafe Du Monde has been around since 1862. It started as basically one of the first food trucks, as it began as a cart at the French Market. They serve only a few items including coffee, beignets, white milk, chocolate milk and orange juice. They just added...get this...iced coffee and oh wait for it...soft drinks. Yup pretty crazy, I know. 


It is open 24 hrs a day to assist with your constant beignet craving. They are only closed on Christmas and in the event of a hurricane. I kind of think it is messed up that they close during a natural disaster, since that is the time we need comfort food the most...joking...well they do close, I am joking about my judgment. 

Powdered Sugar Machine
Actually this place was incredible and seriously just screams traditional New Orleans. If you are unfamiliar with a beignet it is a square piece of dough, fried and covered with powdered sugar. However, honestly the best way I can think of to describe it is like a fried piece of belgian waffle. As many of you know I only eat donuts once a year so this was not my typical food, but it was an awesome indulgence! 

And now for your history lesson. Beignets were brought to New Orleans by the Acadians. And if you are anything like me, my response was what is an Acadian? So I googled it...an Acadian was a French colonist who settled in Acadia. And sure the follow-up question...well at least it was for me, where is Acadia? Acadia was Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Quebec and Maine. However, most importantly some of the Acadians moved to New Orleans and become better known as the Cajuns...it is all making sense now, right?

Waiter from Grants Pass
Now I also need to give a special shout out to my waiter...crap I didn't get you name...but I did learn that you were from Grants Pass, OR, how random is that? And Kenny who snuck me into the kitchen for the pictures that you are about to see? Kenny, if you are reading this you so made my day and I hope I didn't get you in trouble with your boss in the green shirt. 


Yup these are my pics in the kitchen of Cafe Du Monde!! How friggin cool is this!!!


 I am having an incredible experience. More to follow-cheers!!

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews