Powered by Blogger.
Sunday, September 22, 2013

Happy Fall & My First Soup Recipe of the Season!!

As many of you know I am a soup addict!! Please do not get this confused with the soup nazi, as I share soup very well...I think. However, I could truly live on soup! Actually if we are being totally honest there have been periods of time in my life where I did really subsist on soup...sure usually they were during a break-up or depression, but honestly I do love soup. And I am not just talking about one type of soup, I am an equal opportunity soup lover. So last night, my bff and I were wearing sweatshirts, a true sign that Fall was in the air...please let's not analyze the fact that it was 75 degrees outside...I decided to make soup for our night of scary movies and dinner. And since today is the first official day of Fall I decided to share this delicious recipe.



I made Sunset's Snap Pea Minestrone with Poached Eggs. I love poached eggs in soup. I know that poached eggs have been a soup accesory for a very long time, however I just discovered this addition last year. I first tried poached eggs in a soup recipe with bread and bacon that came from Food Network and I have been a believer ever since. This soup did not disappoint!

All joking aside this was probably one of the best soups I have had in a very long time. I loved the fresh vegetables, the salt from the ham and chicken broth, the licorice flavor from the fresh tarragon and the creamy texture of the poached egg. I also really enjoyed the orzo pasta as I have made minestrone in the past and unfortunately the large noodles tend to suck up all of the broth. The orzo did absorb some broth, but nothing to the extreme I have witnessed before. I also love the nutty flavor that Parmesan cheese adds to soup and this recipe had a ton-o-Parmesan. Love!


So cook the carrot, leek, ham and green onions in butter. I know a lot of recipes call for oil, but this one called for butter and I definitely think butter adds an rich flavor to...well anything, but it worked well in this soup.

While you are sauteeing the vegetables and ham bring water and vinegar to a simmer. Make sure to add the vinegar to the water because it helps the eggs stay more solid and not just scramble in the water. Also I recommend white vinegar because otherwise you can discolor the eggs, which is usually not the look you are going for.

Add the broth to the eggs and once it boils, add the pasta. Stir in the peas and bring the soup back to a boil. Finally add the Parmesan and fresh tarragon.


Ladle the soup into bowls and top each bowl with a poached egg. Sprinkle with additional Parmesan.

Here is the official recipe if you want measurements:


1/2 cup diced ham
1 carrot, peeled and cut into small dice
1 leek, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced into half-moons and rinsed well
1/3 cup sliced green onions
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
4 large eggs
5 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
About 1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 cup tiny pasta, such as farfalline or orzo
2 1/2 cups diagonally sliced sugar snap peas
About 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
About 2 tsp. chopped fresh tarragon leaves
Preparation

1. Cook ham, carrot, leek, and green onions with butter in a large pot over medium heat until vegetables soften, about 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, warm vinegar and 1 1/2 in. water over high heat until bubbles form on pan bottom, then reduce heat to medium-low. Break eggs into water, keeping them slightly apart. Cook until whites are firm but yolks are still soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer eggs with a slotted spoon to a plate.
3. Add broth and 1/4 tsp. pepper to vegetables. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Add pasta and boil gently, uncovered and stirring occasionally, until tender, 7 to 8 minutes. Stir in snap peas and return to a boil, then stir in 1/2 cup parmesan, 2 tsp. tarragon, and more pepper to taste.
4. Ladle into bowls and top each with a poached egg. Serve with more cheese, tarragon, and pepper if you like.

So Happy Fall Y'all! Hope you enjoy this soup recipe as much as I did. I do have to say that although we pretty much only have one season in beautiful So Cal, Fall is my favorite, primarily because I love pumpkin everything. I am making pumpkin bars as I type and dang my house smells incredible!! So be prepared to hear about pumpkin bars with cream cheese frosting tomorrow. Cheers!


P.S. Shout out to my bestie for being my best little food photographer and to Beau my favorite kitchen dog XOXO

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews