Powered by Blogger.
Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Sugar Coated Chocolate Cookies & No Sleep

So this week I am working night shift in an attempt to assist with the incredible amounts of overtime that my Communications Center is undergoing, as a result of training for a new computer system. And let me just say my body is confused, couple that with my phone going off EARLY in the morning, sleep has not been my friend this week. So in lieu of sleep I have been running and baking, trying to get my happy fix somehow since it is definitely not in the bedroom...get your mind out of the gutter...ok sure both are true...but whatever.





Anyway today I decided to make Sugar Coated Chocolate Cookies. I am on this Southern Living kick, not sure if it is a residual from my trip to New Orleans or if it is just coincidence or if they just have good recipes. To be honest I am too tired to truly analyze Southern Living in much detail, at the moment. But what I can tell you is that I am churning out some damn good baked goods. And I am continuing to use ingredients that have been in my pantry, ya know those ingredients you buy for one recipe and forget about. Yeah those!

This recipe allowed me to use up my unsweetened chocolate bars and it is good!! This cookie recipe just screams "Christmas Cookie," as they look as if they have a sprinkling of snow on them. Ok sure I haven't seen snow in years living in So Cal at all, but it looks like what I imagine and remember snow to look like. Fair?

They are a really rich chocolatey chewy cookie with a burst of sweet from the powdered sugar. And they are easy as long as you have time, as the dough does require a 2 hour stint in the fridge. However, if the hardest part of making a cookie is letting it sit in the fridge, count me in!


Melt butter and chocolate in a pan.

Mix sugar, flour and baking powder in a mixer. Add eggs, chocolate mixture and vanilla. I was a little concerned after this step as the recipe indicates that the batter will be pretty liquidy and that just wasn't the case with mine. Mine was actually pretty think and kind of resembled a fudge consistency. I am pretty sure I didn't do anything wrong so I am not sure if the recipe is incorrect or I inadvertently jacked something up.


Put dough in fridge for 2 hours. Roll dough into balls and roll in powdered sugar.


Bake in a 375 degree oven for 10 minutes.

Easy Peasy!!

Here is the actual recipe:

1/2 cup butter or margarine
3 (1oz) squares unsweetened chocolate
2 cups sugar
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup sifted powdered sugar **I didn't sift the powdered sugar and it turned out fine **

1. Melt butter and chocolate in a heavy saucepan over low heat.
2. Combine 2 cups sugar, flour and baking powder in a large mixing bowl. Add chocolate mixture, eggs and vanilla; beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until blended. (Mixture will be very thin) Cover and chill at least 2 hours
3. Shape dough into 1" balls and roll balls in powdered sugar. Place 2" apart on lightly greased cookie sheets. Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.



Does anyone else find that their cookies get better the more batches you make?


Hope everyone is having a good week! I miss being at home and drinking wine at night, but it is only temporary. I work night shift tonight and Thursday and so I think I can power through. Cheers my friends!

P.S. Yes, my kitchen is totally covered in powdered sugar!!



0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews