Powered by Blogger.
Thursday, September 12, 2013

Caramel Apple Oatmeal Cookies

I love to travel! And my trip to New Orleans was incredible! However, I also love to come home. There is something truly refreshing about coming home after a trip, sleeping in your own bed, waking up in a familiar place, getting back into your exercise and eating routine and cooking in your own kitchen. I seriously couldn't wait to start cooking again. And please don't get me wrong the food in NOLA was out of this world, but I also love my kitchen time.




So last night, even though I got off work late, went to the gym late and got home late, I still had to find time to cook. I decided to make Caramel Apple Oatmeal Cookies, well for a few reasons...they sounded different, they kind of sounded like Fall, they were from Cooking Light which is good after NOLA and they sounded pretty easy for a late night baking excursion.

And I have to say I really enjoyed these cookies. They were super tasty! Ok but let me tell you of everything I did differently....well ya know how it is when you get back from vacation, you are often missing a lot of ingredients from the pantry, so. The recipe calls for caramels, but I had toffee bits and so I used them instead and they were awesome. I also had a little less toffee bits than the recipe called for so I just topped it off with chocolate chips, seriously how can that lead you astray, right? I also was running a little low on all purpose flour, so I topped that off with cake flour, didn't seem to hurt the cookies any. And yeah I think I pretty much stuck true to the other 5 ingredients...yes I know I am comedy.


I do have to say I really liked the dried apple in the cookies as they added an interesting texture and a sweet flavor. I also loved the toffee because I just love toffee!! All joking aside the flavors in these cookies are incredible and they reminded me of a chewy oatmeal chocolate chip cookie with a kick!! I love chewy cookies!


They are also super easy, which again is great for late night baking. So combine the dry ingredients. Blend the sugars and butter. I did have a debate about using smoked brown sugar in these cookies in place of regular, however I thought the flavors would be interesting enough on their own without too much of my help. Next I added the vanilla and eggs. Finally I combined the dry and wet ingredients, mixed in my apple chunks, toffee bits and chocolate chips and celebrated the completion of my dough.

Drop the dough onto cookie sheets, press down with your hand, and bake. Voila!!




6.75 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 large egg
3/4 cup finely chopped dried apple slices
3/4 cup caramel bits or 16 small soft caramel candies, chopped
Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients (through salt) in a bowl; stir well.
3. Place sugars and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and egg; beat well. Gradually add flour mixture; beat at low speed until just combined. Fold in apple and caramel bits.
4. Drop dough by 2 teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Flatten balls slightly with hand. Bake at 350° for 9 minutes. Cool on pans 3 minutes. Remove cookies from pans; cool completely on wire racks.

These seriously would be great cookies for a Fall bake sale, an after school snack or just cause. I use the "just cause," excuse quite frequently and so far I haven't received any complaints. So I am definitely looking forward to cooking some more this weekend in my own home, in my own kitchen and falling asleep with my own pillow in my own bed. Cheers my friends!

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews