Powered by Blogger.
Monday, September 16, 2013

Raspberry Bars

So this week I am working night shift and besides trying to learn how to sleep again when it is light outside, running in the extreme heat, trying to figure out when I am hungry and trying to remember how to be a Dispatcher I also need time to bake, right? I am sure you all see the correlation between all of those. I am also trying to use up all of the random ingredients I have collected over the last few months from recipes I have made. Ya know those ingredients that you buy, use once and never think of again. Well I am the condiment, baking product, food ingredient hoarding queen and so I am trying to narrow those down a bit...raspberry jam being one of those such ingredients.



Don't get me wrong I love raspberry jam, but I am kind of a traditionalist when it comes to jam. I love strawberry jam and I love the strawberry jam that one of my co-workers makes so I just have no room in my heart for raspberry, except for in baking.

So yesterday I made Southern Living's Raspberry bars. These are kind of like an oatmeal raspberry jam shortbread brownie, but whatever you want to call them...they were damn good! They are light and flaky, well from all of the butter, they had a nice tang and sweetness from the raspberry jam and the oatmeal gave them kind of a nutty flavor. They are definitely a perfect Fall treat!

They are also super easy! Beat butter and sugar in a mixer. Add flour, baking soda, salt and oats and combine.


Press half of the mixture on the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Spread the raspberry jam on the crust as the 2nd layer.


Sprinkle the rest of the oat mixture on top of the jam and bake for 20 minutes.


Here is the actual recipe-Raspberry Bars

3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cup quick cooking oats, uncooked
1 (10oz) jar raspberry preserves.

1. Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add sugar, beating well. Combine flour and next 3 ingredients; add to butter mixture, mixing well.

2. Press half of crumb mixture into a greased 13x9 inch pan. Spread raspberry preserves over crumb mixture. Sprinkle remaining half of crumb mixture over preserves. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 min. Cool on a wire rack, cut into bars.

Happy Monday Y'all!!

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews