Powered by Blogger.
Thursday, August 29, 2013

Breakfast of Champions!! Hole In One or Eggs In A Hole

So I never do breakfast blogs and today I decided to mix it up a bit. So I know the actual recipe is Eggs In A Hole, but for some reason I have a mental block against that name and I want to call it Hole in One. It is not like I am an avid golfer who is obsessed with the hole in one quest, it is just a mental block. Kind of like Bed and Breakfasts, for some reason I always want to call them Bread and Breakfasts, but that makes absolutely no sense at all.



I thought this recipe was a great idea as it included all of the breakfast food components I love-bread, bacon, cheese and eggs. Sounds like a win/win to me, right? However, I did discover that if you are like me, where you only like your eggs well done, this recipe doesn't go quite as well. I found that in order to get the eggs to a solidified state you have to cook them in the oven longer which gets the bread a bit crispy. Next time I make this I may try skipping the toasting of the bread ahead of time and see if it toasts up in the oven, therefore skipping the charred bread state.

Other than that discovery, I really like recipe. I liked having everything in a compact little state. The bacon tasted like heaven, my only complaint was that I wanted more of it. Yes, I know this is a Cooking Light recipe, but one slice of bacon for 4 servings, that is just a bacon tease. The Parmesan added a nice flavor to the eggs and bread just makes me happy.

The recipe is also really easy, especially for me who do not excel at mornings, such as myself. Toast the bread and cut the center out of them. The recipe says to use a cookie cutter or biscuit cutter, which I didn't have, so I took my vitamin bottle and just cut around it with a knife and that worked fine.


Next toast the bread. Meanwhile, put the bacon on a hot pan in the oven. I have to say that I never have the best luck with oven cooked bacon. I do like my bacon crispy and it just never seems to get crispy enough in the oven or it takes so long I get inpatient....oopsie.



Next put the bread on the hot pan and crack the eggs in the center. Put the grated Parmesan, chopped bacon, sage (I didn't have any so I didn't use it), salt and pepper. Bake until the egg whites are set.

Here is the actual recipe:


1 slice bacon
4 (1-ounce) slices multigrain bread, lightly toasted
4 large eggs
4 teaspoons grated fresh pecorino Romano cheese (about 1/4 ounce)
1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Preparation

1. Position an oven rack in the middle setting. Place a jelly-roll pan on rack. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Place bacon on heated pan, and cook until crisp (about 4 minutes); crumble. Cut a hole into the center of each toast using a 3-inch biscuit cutter or round cookie cutter. Reserve cutouts.
3. Arrange bread slices on hot pan; crack one egg into each hole. Sprinkle eggs evenly with crumbled bacon, cheese, and sage. Bake at 400° for 5 minutes or until egg whites are set. Sprinkle with pepper, and serve with toast cutout.

Hope you all are having a wonderful week. Cheers my friends!



0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews