Powered by Blogger.
Saturday, August 10, 2013

Vegetable Fried Rice With Bacon


When I first  read this recipe title I thought to myself, what is the point of a vegetarian dish if there is bacon in it? Kind of like the other day I was reading Food Network magazine and they were talking about a restaurant in LA that does bacon matzah balls, sounds delish but there is just something kind of wrong about it. But I do have to say that this fried rice made me a believer and I am definitely going to search out the bacon matzah balls....and pretty much anything else with bacon in it as well.



This recipe was awesome!! It had great flavor with the garlic, ginger, pepper, soy sauce and bacon. Yum! I loved the technique that was used to scramble the egg into the rice and did I mention that I loved the bacon?


So first cook the bacon pieces in oil. I did stray from the recipe a bit because instead of regular sugar I used smoked brown sugar on the bacon and I really enjoyed the hint of smokey flavor that was added. Next cook the bacon with the soy sauce and remove from the pan.


Saute the garlic, ginger and pepper flakes in the bacon fat. Sure probably not the healthiest cooking habit, but damn it tasted good! I also used Trader Joe's applewood smoked bacon and they have incredible bacon!! Yes, I know there is a theme here!

Add the broccoli and cook until it's tender. On a side note I don't know why I don't cook with broccoli more often. I am always really pleased with it when I make it, but it just never ends up in my grocery cart...odd.


Add in the 5 cups of cooked rice. You can definitely use leftover rice if you have it or you can cook the rice specifically for this dish, whatever makes you happy. I have plenty of leftover rice because I went a little rice cooking crazy so if you need some hit me up. Also add the chicken broth, the bacon that you removed earlier and the rest of the soy sauce.


Move the rice to the side of the pan and crack the eggs into the same pan, scrambling until cooked through. When they are scrambled mix them into the rice mixture. Super easy and it doesn't require you to dirty another pan! Seriously one of the drawbacks to cooking is dishes! Sometimes I feel like all I do is dishes...dishes at home, dishes at culinary school, more dishes at home...you get the picture!


Add the watercress at the end. I also added a little sesame oil at the end just because I love that flavor and I did serve the rice with Siracha. Yum!

Here is the actual recipe:


1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/4 pound thick-cut bacon, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
3/4 teaspoon sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons soy sauce
3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 2-inch piece ginger, peeled and minced
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 head broccoli, florets and stalks cut into 1/4-inch pieces
5 cups cooked long-grain white rice
1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
4 large eggs
1 bunch watercress, stems removed
Spicy mustard or chili sauce, for serving (optional)
Directions
Place a wok or large skillet over high heat. Add the vegetable oil and bacon and stir-fry until golden and crisp, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle the sugar over the bacon and toss. Add 1/4 teaspoon soy sauce (watch out-the oil will bubble up) and continue to stir-fry until the bacon is glazed, about 30 seconds. Transfer the bacon to a bowl with a slotted spoon. Add the garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes to the drippings in the pan and stir-fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the broccoli and cook until crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the rice, the remaining 2 teaspoons soy sauce, the broth and glazed bacon. Toss to heat through.

Push the fried rice to one side of the pan, crack the eggs into the other side and scramble until set, about 1 minute. Mix the eggs into the rice and stir in the watercress. Divide among bowls and serve with mustard or chili sauce, if desired.

And I am sorry I don't have a good wine recommendation to go with this recipe, but if I had been drinking I think a Sapporo beer would be awesome with it. Just sayin'! Hope you are all having a fabulous weekend...Cheers!




0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews