Powered by Blogger.
Monday, August 5, 2013

Leoness Cellars-Temecula, CA

Do you ever walk into a place and think of spending the rest of your life there? Please tell me I am not alone because otherwise this will be a really awkward blog. Ok ya know like those places that just make you feel so comfortable that you want to sit on the patio with a glass of wine, listening to live music and enjoying the scenery, understand now right?




Well that is exactly the atmosphere that Leoness Cellars in Temecula, CA provides. It is truly a slice of heaven. Although the Temecula Valley is known for it's plethora of wineries they are not known for the Napa-esque beauty of their estates, Leoness is one of those exceptions. You pull into the parking lot and you feel like you just stepped into a European villa. It is picturesque with the vineyards in their  backyard, an outdoor restaurant, a gorgeous patio and live music in the background. The tasting room is also beautiful with it's wood beamed ceilings, wood bar and all sorts of random accoutrements and wine odds and ends that you have to buy.


So I will be honest and say that I went to Leoness a million years ago, however it was on one of those drunken winery bus tours and it was the last stop. I remembered the name and I remembered liking the wine and I remembered that I was with my ex-husband, pretty good for a drunken winery bus tour ay! So last weekend when my Mom and I went to Temecula for a wedding I took her here, not quite sure if it was actually good wine or if I just remembered it being good wine because I was so hammered that it resonated with me.


Anyway I got lucky...not like that...please people get your mind out of the gutter. This is a classy winery! I started our tasting experience asking what they are known for and Hayden, who was working the bar quickly told me they are known for their bold reds...so that is what I went with. I do also have to say that they must have good taste because Hayden graduated from Humboldt State University like I did so seriously someone in their HR department is doing something right.


Sorry I digress and I apologize in advance if you like white wines because I did not try any of their whites. I did try their rose which was good, but a tad bit on the sweet side for me. However, the rest of their reds were really smooth and easy to drink. I really enjoyed their 2010 Cabernet Sauvignon, 2009 Grenache and 2009 Mouvedre...those are the wines that came home with me. These were excellent wines to pair with food and I am sure you will be hearing about them more later as I experiment drinking them with dishes.

As many of you know I love oak in my wines and their reds are aged in a combination of French and American oak and I am sure that is one of the reasons I so loved their wines!! I also tried their Zinfandel which was a little sweet for me, their Meritage which I almost brought home in place of the Mouvedre and their Melange de Reues which is a red blend. I didn't find any of their wines to be boring, acidic, sharp or nauseating which is always a plus and I would have been happy drinking any of these reds on their patio if I had more time and I didn't have to make it to a wedding.


I did learn that the wines I tried were from estate grapes and I do have to say I love wineries that maintain control of their grapes and growing process...I am sure it is just me holding onto tradition.  The winery started in 2003 and the name means "village of dreams," which is an accurate name considering these views.

If you are in the area I definitely recommend that you stop by their tasting room which is at 38311 DePortola Rd and although it feels like you are in the middle of nowhere, it is worth it. They are open daily from 11-5 and here is their web page for further information: http://www.leonesscellars.com/

I also want to give a special shout out to the cute couple from New York that I met at the bar who has been married for 51 years. If you are reading this I want an invitation to come over to your house for cocktails and tomato sauce.

Happy Monday y'all!!

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews