Powered by Blogger.
Sunday, August 25, 2013

Peach Cobbler Muffins...eh just ok

So do you ever have REALLY high expectations for a recipe and because of that they just don't always meet your expectations? That is pretty much what happened with these Peach Cobbler Muffins. I had visions of sitting down with an espresso and a muffin after my run. I pictured my muffin to be moist, light and flakey, like well a cobbler....a peach one to be exact. And this just tastes like a muffin....one that wasn't quite sweet enough in my opinion. I did schmear some lemon curd on my muffin which made it a little better, but seriously if you have to doctor up your muffin, that is usually an indication to me that I am not in love.



However, I did learn a valuable baking lesson. When my Mom was in town she purchased flour that was unbleached, for her pizza dough. And it is what I had in the house and so I used it for this recipe. And it made my muffins dark, kind of whole wheat looking, not quiet as pretty as the picture in the book. I was also wondering if this flour had anything to do with the fact that my muffins were more dense than the picture looked, but I had baked cookies and other things with this flour and the impact was minimal, so I don't think that was it. I also analyzed whether or not I over mixed the muffin batter, but I did the very least amount of mixing for fear of gut bombs, so I am chalking it up to a recipe that is just ok.

This recipe came from a cookbook, don't know how I ended up with it, called The Back in the Day Bakery Cookbook. It does not look like something I would normally purchase so it must have been a gift, I assume. This is a book that includes recipes from a bakery in Savannah, that has the same name as the book, and everything in it looks amazing in the photos, but hopefully the other recipes provide me with more success than this one did.


The recipe was really easy. Combine the dry ingredients,  which included cinnamon, and I did like the hint of spice in the muffins.


Combine the wet ingredients. I used my buttermilk powder for the first time and for a cup of buttermilk you use 4T of buttermilk powder and a cup of water. It seemed to work great and looked similar to buttermilk when I combined the two. I also liked that the recipe had almond and vanilla extract, which gave it an interesting flavor.


Next add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and fold in the chopped peaches. Peaches are incredible this time of year!! I purchased white peaches for this recipe and they were incredibly sweet!


Put in a muffin pan, that is sprayed with cooking spray and bake.


I did love how much these muffins puffed up and they look like perfect little muffins, which is nice.

Here is the recipe if you want to try it and please let me know if you get different results:


INGREDIENTS

2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder, preferably aluminum-free
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup buttermilk
5 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large egg
3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
1 1/2 cups peeled, cubed (1/2-inch cubes) fresh or unthawed frozen peaches
Turbinado sugar for sprinkling



DIRECTIONS

Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray 12 large muffin cups with vegetable oil spray or line them with paper muffin cups.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and granulated sugar.

In another bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, oil, egg, vanilla, and almond extract. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Gently fold in the peaches, using as few strokes as possible; be careful not to over mix.

With a large ice cream scoop or spoon, scoop the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling them approximately two-thirds full. Sprinkle the tops with turbinado sugar.

Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the muffins are golden brown. The tops should be firm to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin should come out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes.

Turn the muffins out of the pan and enjoy warm or at room temperature. The muffins can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 days.

Well I am working night shift tonight, so wish me luck in regards to staying awake. I am definitely out of practice when it comes to late nights, since a crazy night for me is cooking dinner, having a glass of wine and falling asleep on the couch. Woot Woot!! Cheers!

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews