Powered by Blogger.
Tuesday, August 6, 2013

GIANT Stuffed Mushrooms

I love mushrooms!! I love all types of mushrooms, all sorts of mushroom preparation, I like them raw and I like them cooked...ok I am going to stop before I start sounding more and more like a REALLY bad Dr. Seuss book about mushrooms. So the other night I came across a portobello stuffed mushroom recipe in Food Network magazine and I thought that just sounded like the perfect Sunday dinner for me!! And that is what I did!



This is not going to surprise you, but as I was making my stuffed mushrooms I started to think about portobellos, which was the type of mushroom I was using. So of course I had to do some research on my topic and let me tell you what I learned about this large fungus:


  • Portobello mushrooms are just mature creminis. Which explains why "baby bellas," are also labeled as "creminis...if they are the same vegetable...they have the same name...I get it now.
  • Baby bellas or creminis are 3-7 days younger than a portobello...yes even mushrooms have an age. 
  • The name portobello became popular in the 1980's because creminis were unpopular and they were not selling...leave it to marketing...when something isn't selling just change it's name. Hmmm, what should I change my name to?
  • Portobello is also known as portabella, both names are acceptable. 
  • The "Mushroom Council," yes I said Mushroom Council likes the mushroom to be spelled portabella, with 2 A's
  • To pick a portobello you want it to have a tight underside and light colored gills...unlike the ones I purchased...that is what I get for doing my research after cooking.

  • Portobellos should be stored in the fridge in a brown paper bag and they should only be kept for 7-10 days. Um yeah I stored them in the plastic bag from the grocery store...oopsie. 
  • A lot of recipes that call for portobellos have you remove the gills (underside of the mushroom) because they often add a grittiness and they can discolor the other food you are cooking with. 
So my stuffed mushroom recipe was super yummy! It has a slight spice from the jalapeno and poblano chile peppers. It has a slight crunch from the wheat germ and well cheese just makes everything heaven on Earth!!! This can be served as a hearty appetizer or as a vegetarian entree. The portobellos make it have a meaty texture and it was really filling. They are also pretty good leftover since that is what I had for lunch today. 


First remove the gills from the mushrooms. If you haven't done this before just scoop out the gills with a spoon. They should come out really easily.


Saute the scallions, poblano and garlic in butter. Add the mushroom stems and cook until tender. Add in the wheat germ. If you are unfamiliar with wheat germ it is the part of the wheat plant that sprouts and creates baby wheat plants. It is recognized for being high in folic acid, Vitamin E, Magnesium, Phosphorous and Zinc. It also adds a nice crunch to the mushrooms especially after it is toasted. 

Remove from the heat and add parsley, salt and pepper. 


Stuff the mushrooms with the pepper mixture and the mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle each mushroom with an additional tablespoon of wheat germ and then spray with cooking spray. 


Bake for 20 minutes. Serve with sour cream, jalapeno and additional scallions. 

Here is the official recipe:


Olive oil cooking spray
4 medium portobello mushrooms
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
4 scallions, sliced
1 poblano or Anaheim chile pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1 1/4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (about 6 ounces)
1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream or nonfat Greek yogurt
1 red jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced (optional)
Directions
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Remove the stems from the mushrooms and coarsely chop them. Scrape the gills from the underside of the mushroom caps using a spoon; discard.

Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the butter, half of the scallions, the poblano and garlic and cook, stirring, until the poblano is soft, about 4 minutes. Add the mushroom stems and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup wheat germ and cook 1 minute. Remove from the heat; stir in the parsley and season with salt and pepper.

Stuff the mushroom caps with one-quarter each of the mozzarella and poblano mixture and arrange on the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon wheat germ and generously spray with cooking spray. Bake until the mushrooms are tender and the wheat germ is golden, about 20 minutes. Top with the sour cream, jalapeno and the remaining scallions.

Hope you have a Happy Tuesday and don't worry we are one day away from hump day and 3 days away from the weekend...Cheers!


0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews