Powered by Blogger.
Friday, August 23, 2013

Chocolate Cheesecake & My Running Club

So tonight was a party for my running club. We were all getting together to celebrate our 31 day running challenge. And it was funny, it was kind of like when you are a kid and you run into your teacher at the grocery store, but they aren't wearing their ugly teacher sweaters so you don't totally recognize them. Tonight was similar, we are all use to seeing each other in running clothes, no make-up and our hair pulled back in ponytails so it was super cool to see everyone and to see just how gosh darn cute everyone really is.



We really have an amazing group! We have super dedicated and motivational leaders, we have a non-competitive supportive group of men and women and we all have that sarcastic sense of humor, of which I am pretty partial to.

I volunteered to make dessert and because it is me...well of course I had to make something I hadn't made before...seriously how do you pass up an opportunity to have 20 built in guinea pigs. So I decided to make a chocolate cheesecake and let me just say this recipe was amazing!! It has a graham cracker crust, which I always just love! Seriously, how do you go wrong with butter, sugar and graham crackers. Yum!! The filling has a chocolate chocolate chip layer and a white sour cream layer. This cheesecake is just downright decadent. The first layer reminds me of a chocolate mousse and the second layer is just cheese heaven! This recipe is definitely a keeper in my book!!


And I love those recipes that look like you slaved in the kitchen for days, however it really was fairly labor unintensive, is that even a word? Well it is now!!


So the crust is just graham cracker crumbs. I put graham crackers and place them in a ziplock bag and just break them down with my hands. I know that other people use a rolling pin or a meal mallet or a hammer, however I found that my hands work just fine. Combine the graham cracker crumbs with sugar and melted butter and mush onto the bottom and sides of your pan.


Next in a mixing bowl, combine the softened cream cheese, sugar, cocoa powder and vanilla. Add the eggs and blend until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes and cool for 15 minutes.

The next layer consists of sour cream, vanilla and more sugar. Spread on top of the chocolate layer and bake for another 10 minutes.


Let the cheesecake cool and then place in the fridge. Holy yummy goodness!!


GRAHAM CRUST (recipe follows)
2 packages (8 oz. each) cream cheese , softened
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar , divided
1/2 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
 2 teaspoons vanilla extract , divided
2  eggs
1 cup HERSHEY'S SPECIAL DARK Chocolate Chips or HERSHEY'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
1 container (8 oz.) dairy sour cream

Directions

1 Prepare GRAHAM CRUST. Heat oven to 375°F.

2 Beat cream cheese, 3/4 cup sugar, cocoa and 1 teaspoon vanilla in large bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs; beat until well blended. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour into prepared crust.

3 Bake 20 minutes. Remove from oven; cool 15 minutes. Increase oven temperature to 425°F. Stir together sour cream, remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla in small bowl; stir until smooth. Spread evenly over baked filling.

4 Bake 10 minutes. Remove from oven to wire rack. With knife, loosen cake from side of pan. Cool completely; remove side of pan. Refrigerate several hours before serving. Cover; refrigerate leftover cheesecake. 10 to 12 servings.

GRAHAM CRUST: Stir together 1-1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs and 1/3 cup sugar; add 1/3 cup melted butter or margarine in medium bowl; mix well. Press mixture firmly onto bottom and halfway up side of 9-inch spring form pan.

The night was really a lot of fun! It was great to share a few glasses of wine instead of Gatorade, eat pizza instead of Gu and talk about running without sucking air because you are at a dead sprint on a Sunday morning run. I had never been in a running club before and I truly did not know what to expect, but I really love the camaraderie of the group and they are truly what motivates me to get my lazy ass out of bed early just about every Sunday morning.

I also want to take a second and give a special shout out to KM. Thank you for being our fearless leader and thank you for our certificates, my road ID and my "commitment" pin. Loved our gifts!

And I think my cheesecake was a success...just sayin'.


0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews