Powered by Blogger.
Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Caramel Corn Cookies

So I wasn't one of those kids that was raised on caramel corn, of any variety, I did not have Cracker Jacks or Crunch-n-Munch or even homemade caramel corn until I was a teenager. Remember I had a hippie Mom who did not allow that crap to pass my lips. And I would love to be able to say that I have maintained that level of purity, however I can't lie to you all.



A few weeks ago I came across a recipe for Caramel Corn Cookies in a Food Network Magazine and it became my goal to make them. I actually had a hard time finding plain caramel corn so I ended up with Crunch-n-Munch. On a side note I love the name Crunch-n-Munch, seriously how random and how fun to say!!

Now just in case you are inquisitive like I am, let me tell you what I learned about Crunch-n-Munch. It started in 1966 by the Franklin Nut Company. Buttery toffee was the original flavor, but it has branched out since then, hence allowing me to find caramel. However, my burning Crunch-n-Munch question has gone unanswered, and yes I tried google, how did Crunch-n-Munch get it's name?

 But get this, in 2004, the Yankees tried to start selling Crunch-n-Munch in place of Cracker Jacks. But there was a public outcry and they had to go back to traditional baseball food. Seriously, what were they thinking?

Since I did use Crunch-n-Munch it did vary the recipe slightly, just because Crunch-n-Munch is not pure popcorn, it also has peanuts, but in my opinion my cookies did not suffer from that addition. I loved the caramel flavor, the hint of almond flavoring from the extract and the coconut. As many of you know I love coconut in anything and these cookies definitely maintained my love.



This cookie recipe is incredible easy. Everything is mixed in one bowl. The butter and sugar are creamed in a mixer. Then I just took the mixer bowl off the mixer and added in the rest of the ingredients.


1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup caramel corn, chopped
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Beat the sugar and shortening in a large bowl with a mixer on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add 1/3 cup chopped caramel corn and the egg and mix with a wooden spoon until well combined. Stir in the almond extract, flour, baking powder, baking soda and the remaining 2/3 cup caramel corn. Stir in the oats and coconut.

Drop spoonfuls of dough onto the prepared baking sheets, about 2 inches apart; bake until golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes on the baking sheets, then transfer to racks to cool completely.


On a side note, I bought way too much Crunch-n-Munch because I couldn't remember how much the recipe called for when I was at the store. So if you want the Crunch-n-Munch either to make these cookies or just to snack on, please hit me up. Happy Hump Day or Wine Wednesday or anything else that you happen to be celebrating! Cheers!



0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews