Powered by Blogger.
Friday, August 9, 2013

Watermelon Cucumber Salad

I am not trying to be cocky, but I have had a lot of success over the last few days with really simple, fresh, summer foods. Last night I loved my Peach Gorgonzola Chicken Pizza and tonight I made a Watermelon Cucumber Salad that I loved. I made another watermelon salad earlier in the season and it was good, but this one was even better and easier. I do have to admit I left the mint out just because sometimes I find it way too overpowering. And the last watermelon salad had feta cheese and this one had crumbled goat cheese and I really loved the tanginess of the goat cheese and the softer texture as well.




Here is the recipe if you want to try it:


Directions
Soak 1/2 thinly sliced red onion in cold water. Pat dry 4 cups diced watermelon and 1 seeded and sliced cucumber; toss with a handful of thinly sliced mint. Drain the onion, squeeze dry and add to the salad along with some chopped cashews. Add 1/4 cup olive oil and the juice of 1/2 lemon; season with salt and toss. Top with crumbled goat cheese.

So I was curious as to why this recipe has you soak the red onions in cold water as I had never heard of that before. I did a little research and I found out a few little tidbits. Soaking onions in cold water can actually make them less pungent and so can reduce the tears. Also with red onions, which these were, soaking them in water is known to mellow out the flavor. I guess it is sulfur in the onions which causes the aftertaste or sharp flavor and when you cut an onion and put it in water that flavor dissipates in the water. Helpful little trick ay.


I also liked the technique of patting down the watermelon. I just used paper towel but it kept the salad from getting too soggy or liquidy which was nice. It also kept the salad from getting an overwhelming watermelon taste, allowing for all of the flavors to meld together more peacefully.


I really liked this salad recipe as the sweetness from the watermelon was really complimented from the hint of spice from the onions, the tang from the cheese and the salt from the cashews and well the salt. I also really liked the textures in this salad. The cucumber, cashews and onion were crunchy, the watermelon was softer and the goat cheese and olive oil was very smooth.


I had this salad with an interesting South African wine I found that was a Chenic Blanc and Viognier blend. It was a very citrusy and crisp wine which paired nicely with the lemon in the salad and the tartness of the goat cheese and the sweetness of the watermelon. It was definitely a win and I loved the label. And how do you go wrong with a wine that is called Goats in Villages, right? The wine I found out Trader Joe's and it was only $7.99...a very nice summer wine.


Happy Friday and Cheers!!

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews