Powered by Blogger.
Sunday, August 18, 2013

My Kitchen Man Wish List & Breakfast for Dinner

So I have been dating for awhile now and I have to say it is just not a whole lot of fun in my opinion. It seems like it takes a lot of time, energy and well I just haven't really been all that impressed. So just like when I was a kid I would make a "wish list" for Santa, I decided to make a man wish list. However, I figured we would be here all day if I did an overall man wish list, so this is my Kitchen Man Wish List. This is the list of attributes in a man that I want him to possess in the kitchen. So here it goes:

  1. I want a man who can open a bottle of wine using a traditional wine bottle opener, not an electric one. 
  2. I want a man who owns a grill and can actually bbq on it.
  3. I want a man who does not live with one or both of his parents and actually owns/rents his own kitchen and it actually has a pot and knife (yes just one is fine and a basic stocked kitchen would be a bonus)
  4. I want a man who knows what risotto is (pretty much just knows general food terms). My crush on the butcher was shattered when he didn't know what risotto was. 
  5. Is adventurous in the kitchen...read into this however you would like...I am sure it all applies. 
  6. Knows how to make coffee or at least chai tea in the microwave and is not opposed to bringing it to me in bed...not every day I am not a total spoiled little bitch...just once in awhile
  7. Is willing to follow the rule that whomever cooked doesn't have to do dishes (he can cook too but I don't want to be cooking and cleaning every night).
  8. Is willing to sit in the kitchen while I cook and talk to me, especially over a good glass of wine. If he wants to help that is cool too, but that is not required. 
  9. Has enough of a sense of humor that he will model my rockin' apron collection and be good looking enough in them that it's kind of sexy too  
  10. Has a great appetite....yes, again you can take this any way you want
Haha my list is kind of like a David Letterman top ten, but I love it. And it is all very accurate. So cheers to my Man Kitchen Wish List!



Tonight I made breakfast for dinner. I did open faced pesto egg sandwiches and yum they were awesome! I have found that I really like Cooking Light's vegetarian recipes and this one continued my streak. It was actually kind of funny because when I read this recipe I thought it sounded good, but I really liked it a lot more than I even expected. I loved the flavors, what with the herbs from the pesto and fresh basil, the earthy flavor of the mushrooms, the nutty flavors of the bread, the slight acid from the tomato and the smooth texture of the egg. It was awesome!


This recipe was also very easy, which as you all know, makes me happy. The hardest part was cutting a cup of shallots. And just so you know I ran out of Parmesan with last nights dinner, and I forgot to get more, so I used mozzarella instead of Parmesan and it turned out great! Oh and I also used smoked olive oil instead of regular and the hint of smoky flavoring was really nice. 


Saute the shallots, until soft. Add the mushrooms and cook until they are also brown and soft. Add salt, pepper and white wine. Remember to keep some of the shallots out as you are going to saute a second batch of shallots separately for the topping. 

Spread the pesto on the bread slices and sprinkle with cheese. Put in the broiler until the cheese is melted and the bread is slightly toasted. 

Cook the eggs, also in olive oil, until you are happy with them. I made this dinner with my bestie and she likes her eggs runny and I like mine over hard, so we each took a turn at the frying pan, so we didn't have to fight. It was a win/win!

Take the bread out of the oven and top with tomato, egg, mushrooms, extra shallots and fresh basil. Yum!!


4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 cup thinly sliced shallots, divided
1 (8-ounce) package presliced cremini mushrooms
2 tablespoons dry white wine
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
8 teaspoons refrigerated pesto
4 (1 1/2-ounce) slices multigrain bread
2 ounces grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (about 1/2 cup)
4 large eggs
8 (1/4-inch-thick) slices beefsteak tomato
3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
Preparation

1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 2 teaspoons oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add 2/3 cup shallots; cook 3 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook 4 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add wine, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and salt; bring to a boil, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Cook 2 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates, stirring occasionally. Remove mushroom mixture from pan; keep warm.
2. Return pan to medium heat. Add 1 teaspoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add remaining 1/3 cup shallots; sauté 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove shallots from pan; keep warm.
3. Preheat broiler to high.
4. Spread 2 teaspoons pesto over one side of each bread slice. Top each slice with about 2 tablespoons cheese. Broil 2 minutes or until cheese melts; keep warm.
5. Return pan to medium heat. Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Crack eggs into pan, and cook 4 minutes or until whites are set.
6. Top each bread slice with 2 tomato slices. Divide mushroom mixture evenly among bread slices, and top each serving with 1 egg. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, shallots, and basil.


I also want to give a special shout out to my bff who followed me around taking the pics for this blog. She has an amazing eye for food photography, so thank you E!


0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews