Powered by Blogger.
Saturday, August 3, 2013

Culinary School Field Trip: My First Dim Sum Experience & Asian Market

So I really don't know whether this was good or bad dim sum...well because I have nothing to compare this to. But I can tell you that the line for this restaurant was out the door and around the building, and that was before the restaurant even opened at 10am. I went to this restaurant as a culinary school field trip and I can tell you that I was truly intrigued by everything I saw and tasted. I think the thing that amazed me the most was the fact that the food was just pretty, seriously friggin pretty. Sure it didn't stop me from putting it in my mouth, but I enjoyed the aesthetics just as much as I enjoyed the flavor.

We went to Sea Harbour Restaurant at 3939 Rosemead Blv in Rosemead.


And I can tell you that in doing my research this restaurant has a reputation for being one of the best in Los Angeles. It actually made #1 spot according to LA Weekly: http://blogs.laweekly.com/squidink/2012/04/10_best_dim_sum_restaurants_in.php?page=4

It doesn't have the dim sum carts that we all think of when we think of the cuisine, however it did have amazingly fast service, helpful staff since we didn't know what we were doing (I apologize in advance that I don't know the traditional names for the food I photographed) and good food.

I also did some research so I knew a little bit about what I was getting myself into and this is what I learned:

  • Dim sum means "touch the heart." 
  • It originated as a snack, hence the name, as it wasn't meant to be a meal but just food that touches your heart. 
  • It is Cantonese food, originating in Southern China
  • It is normally served in small steamer baskets or small plates

  • It started in Chinese tea houses. Initially it was thought that tea and food should not go together, however as that tradition changed, tea houses started to offer dim sum. 

  • It is traditionally served from 5am-mid afternoon, however it is now being served more often as a dinner staple as well. 


I really wanted to pick my own abalone...ya know reach my hand into this tank and pull out the one I wanted on my plate. That was not a service they were offering and I just decided it could be a little awkward if I tried to force the issue and start dunking my hands in there anyway...maybe on my second visit.



 Let me also apologize as I sound like a stereotypical American, but what I have always heard about in relation to dim sum is pork buns. And so that was the one thing I really wanted to try and they were beautiful, almost iridescent, which I was later told was a form of an egg wash. They were doughey on the outside, but really fluffy and spongey in texture.  And it was a bbq pork type filling inside.



Pork Buns-Outside




Pork Buns-Inside
 The next dish we tried was a pork dumpling. It had a rice paper outside and a pork filling on the inside.




L-R: Shrimp dumpling, pork heaven and the pork dumpling 


Black fungus (aka. mushrooms) and Vegetable-reminded me of a pot sticker


Fried shrimp puff



Pork rice pancake-reminded me of a crepe



Seafood noodle dish. Yum!


Fried tofu-amazing consistency...almost like a custard



Egg bun-outside




Egg bun-outside...sweet and custardy!!

 Our next stop was the Shun Fat Supermarket at 421 N Atlantic Bl in Monterey Park. I learned later that this is a chain grocery store for Asian ingredients. And it was heaven!! I seriously loved all of the packaging! It makes American packaging look downright boring.


I also loved all of the extremely fresh ingredients, from fish to produce. It was beautiful! And although I found myself a lot of the time having no idea what I was looking at, I was so intrigued, mesmerized and excited by the variety and scope of products available.


These bins made me feel like a little kid again. I remember as a child going to the Arcata Co-op and they had all types of bulk foods and as a kid...ok and well still kind of today...I always wanted to try everything and put my hands in all of the bins.

Don't worry I didn't embarrass myself or the culinary school group by living out that fantasy, however I did think about it. And in terms of flavor I loved the smoked dried octopus!!


These are all types of ginger!!
I loved all of the ingredients I had never heard of before. Like lily root, what do you do with that? It is most commonly served in stir fries, but it can also be fried or served in soups.




 This beer made me laugh because considering the beauty of the majority of the product packaging this beer just looked "generic." I was on my way out of town otherwise I would have bought some for a taste test, however I had visions of this exploding in my car during my travels...less fun. However, you know this is the PBR of Taiwan...or at least that is the story I made up.




 And because I could I had to take a picture of this. I have always been a huge Sesame Street fan and so the thought of Big Bird being in a plastic container....well I think I might have a little traumatic stress over that one.



 This field trip definitely peaked a great deal of curiosity for me and I will definitely be exploring more Asian ingredients in my cooking and I will completely make an effort to try other dim sum restaurants. Think next time I do need to find a place with the carts just so I can see what that is all about. Cheers my friends!



















0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews