Powered by Blogger.
Thursday, August 15, 2013

Trader Joe's Mixed Berry Scone Mix

So tonight I decided to be a lazy ass when it came to cooking and so I decided to make a dinner of champions...a glass of wine and asparagus with smoked olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Sure it is not quite the same as Wheaties, but it was comfort food for me none the less. Plus it is one of those incredible advantages to being single, I can eat whatever I want for dinner and there is just no judgment. Well sure I guess you all could be judging me while reading this, however by the time you read this I will have completed my rose and asparagus and be completely content. Happy Me!!




However, even though I opted out on the cooking front I couldn't allow this writing streak to just go down in a blaze of glory...kind of like Bon Jovi's career...sorry to all of his fans. So I decided to mix up a batch of Trader Joe's scones and do a product review.

Let me start by saying I am a huge scone fan. Sure I definitely prefer when people make them for me, especially people who also go by the name of Starbucks, but honestly I haven't met a scone that I didn't like. And although I have made scones in the past I don't make them on a regular basis, so when I found this mix I thought this would be a great thing to try.

And I have to say overall I was really happy with the outcome. I loved how flaky and buttery they were. They would be awesome with a little lemon curd and a large cup of coffee in the morning. And although I wouldn't add them to my list of "I crave scones, must have Trader Joe's mixed berry scones," they did make me happy.

The only drawback, in my opinion, was the smell as they do smell like fake berries. Ya know that kind of slightly odd processed berry smell, kind of like Strawberry Shortcakes hair, if you had one of those dolls when you were a kid. Which brings me to my second point, they kind of taste like fake berries, and so I am not really sure what type of mixed berries are included in these scones, but it is a mix.So if I wanted fresh berries, see above, I wouldn't have been a lazy ass tonight.

I was impressed with how well these scones puffed up. Because honestly when I was spooning them onto the cookie sheet I seriously thought these might be the smallest scones EVER, however they did pleasantly surprise in that regard.


So I guess my overall opinion is...not bad. I wouldn't fight to the end of the Earth to get them, but I also wouldn't toss them off my plate, throw them onto the ground and ground them into small crumbs with my heel into the carpet, while having a temper tantrum, how is that for drama?


Anyway hope you all have a wonderful Thursday night and Cheers my friends!!

1 comment:

  1. I purchased these for home at the continued request of my 9 year old son. Due to the percentage of processed ingredients I decided to make it a bit more healthy.

    To the base mix I added: 1/2 cup of dried cranberries, a teaspoon of ground ginger, the juice of one medium lemon, 1/4 cup of coconut flour. For the liquid I used 2/3 cup of water, 1/3 cup of whole milk and then either a 1/4 cup of olive oil or applesauce (for more flavor).

    ReplyDelete

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews