Powered by Blogger.
Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Orzo Pasta Salad-Perfect for Labor Day!!

Is it just me or does anyone else get Labor Day and Memorial Day confused? I know that is not so cool to admit, especially since one holiday commemorates those who served and lost their lives fighting for our country and the other just has to do with work. But I always forget which one is in September and which one is in May. And since both of them are celebrated with bbq's and beer, it just gets down right confusing...well to me. But yes I know that this weekend is Labor Day...I think, right?



So all day I was thinking I was going to make breakfast for dinner tonight, but when I was at the gym, I had an epiphany. I did not want breakfast for dinner, I wanted pasta. So while I was on the elliptical, thankfully I am a pretty good multi-tasker, because seriously no one wants to fall off an exercise machine because they are looking at recipes while working out. Just sayin'...I came across this Cooking Light recipe for Mediterranean Orzo Pasta Salad.

And I have to say I am a happy camper that I did. This is a really easy, yummy, summer recipe and it is good slightly warm and chilled, whatever you prefer. There is nothing scary in it like mayo or hard boiled eggs so you can transport it to your picnic or bbq without fears of poisoning and killing all of the guests, am I the only one that thinks like that?

Slight regression story, so today we were doing computer training at work, and one of the girls I work with was talking about how prepared she is for disasters. So I declare that I am coming to her house in the event of a disaster, she has everything-food, water, medication, dog food, you name it. And no I will not give you her address because she is my best kept secret. Anyway she goes on to tell us that the only disaster supplies she is missing is a raft. A what, you might be asking yourself? Which is pretty much what I said and she responded with a raft, she needed a raft. Ya know in the event of a tsunami or flood, she needs a raft. So I promised her that when she retires we will all chip in and buy her a raft. Most random thing ever!! Hysterical!! Thank you MB!!

But all joking aside this recipe was awesome. I love the pasta, the saltiness of the olives, the spice of the red onion, the feta and the sweetness of the sun dried tomatoes. And I just friggin love artichoke hearts. No joke, I seriously eat a jar of artichoke hearts for dinner on some night and I am just as happy as a clam. The spinach gives it a nice fresh kick and the salt, pepper and artichoke marinade is perfect and light. I was really pleased with the results.


First cook the orzo pasta, according to package directions. By the way, if anyone needs orzo, that seems to be my only disaster supplies, I have a crap load of it, and I am willing to share.


Next chop the spinach and combine with the red onion, olives, salt and pepper.

Chop the artichoke hearts. And toss the marinade from the artichoke hearts with the feta.


Add the orzo pasta to the spinach mix and add in the artichokes and marinade/feta mix. Toss until combined and enjoy!! I enjoyed this dish with a nice glass of Opolo Syrah and it was perfect.

Here is the actual recipe:

1 cup uncooked orzo (rice-shaped pasta; about 8 ounces)
2 cups bagged prewashed baby spinach, chopped $
1/2 cup chopped drained oil-packed sun-dried tomato halves
3 tablespoons chopped red onion
3 tablespoons chopped pitted kalamata olives
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 (6-ounce) jar marinated artichoke hearts, undrained
3/4 cup (3 ounces) feta cheese, crumbled and divided
Preparation

Cook the orzo according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain; rinse with cold water. Combine orzo, spinach, and next 5 ingredients (through salt) in a large bowl.
Drain artichokes, reserving marinade. Coarsely chop artichokes, and add artichokes, reserved marinade, and 1/2 cup feta cheese to orzo mixture, tossing gently to coat. Sprinkle each serving with remaining feta cheese.

Tomorrow is my Friday and you know how right before you go on vacation you start the countdown, I am there. I leave on Wednesday for New Orleans and I am so excited! I am completely ready to eat my way through that City and of course I found a gym too. Happy Hump Day Y'all!!

2 comments:

  1. that looks crazy delicious! Unfortunately, I'm culinary challenged and will leave the cooking to the masters like you!

    - Your Ninja friend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you. Well let me know if you ever want to be my guinea pig. I am always looking for people and places to drop off my food. And it is obviously good marketing to have a ninja on your side. D

      Delete

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews