Powered by Blogger.
Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Detox Day #11-Detox Egg Salad

So the question I get asked the most about this detox is, why? People always assume it is for weight loss and honestly that is not my goal. Sure I wouldn't shed a tear if I lost a few pounds, but that isn't my burning desire.



 This has led me to give this question a great deal of thought. A few months ago if I was approached about doing a detox my response would have easily been,"hell no." However, when my running coach sent out the email I knew I was instantly in, so what is different now? There are a few things that motivated me to try this detox and they are:
  1. I had just felt a little bloated
  2. I have been feeling a little slow and lethargic (well for me)
  3. I drank a little too much wine around the holidays and I thought it would be a good idea to cut back
  4. My body felt like it needed a change
  5. I was curious as to how my body would react to such an extreme change
  6. It was similar to the way I ate during my childhood and I wanted to see if I could go back to that style of eating
  7. Thought the challenge of trying to change the way I cook would be fun to blog about
It is funny I have found that so far every week has had a theme. Last week was my caffeine withdrawal week, in which I had a headache for 3 days. This is my chocolate craving week and I would pretty much kill for a glass of red wine and a dark chocolate bar, but I am holding strong.
 
So this morning, before pilates, I had decaf chai tea with almond milk. And I have to say I like the almond milk better than the coconut/almond milk, at least when it is heated. After pilates, I made a traditional breakfast with non-traditional ingredients. I made poached eggs, brown rice toast and beef bacon. I hate to say this, but I was a little disappointed with my beef bacon. It just didn't have the same flavor and consistency as regular bacon...I know big surprise, right...but still disappointing. I may try to put it in something, but as a stand alone, it just isn't bacon.


I am working night shift tonight so I am eating leftovers for dinner, however for lunch, I made a detox version of egg salad and it was so good! This is definitely one of my favorite detox recipes. It uses avocado in place of the mayo and it gives it the same consistency as regular egg salad. You can eat it with crackers, gluten free bread or just with a spoon, which is what I did. It has a slight acidity from the mustard, it is creamy from the egg and the avocado and it is just dang good. Sure I really wanted to throw some dill pickle relish in it because I love pickles, but since we have to avoid the whole vinegar thing I just enjoyed the avocado and egg. It was a slice of heaven!


So it is super easy. Hard boil 8 eggs. Peel and chop the eggs.


Combine the eggs with 1/2 of a ripe avocado, 1 tsp mustard, 1/4 tsp smoked paprika and salt/pepper.



Doesn't get much easier and it is so tasty! Cheers with water! And wish me luck in terms of staying awake without caffeine tonight....ugh

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews