Powered by Blogger.
Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Detox Day #4-Tuna, Arugula & Egg Salad

Well here I am on day #4 and I have to admit, overall, I am doing pretty well. My body is not going into shock, I am not rocking and crying in the corner for coffee and I am not an angry little white girl, all of which would be bad. I did have a slight headache this morning at work, which I will blame on the lack of caffeine, but I got over it and moved on.

So far I have had a few surprises. Although I did not do this for weight loss I thought I would instantly lose weight, like it would just melt off me because I was so pure,  and so far I have not.  However, I also expected to be starving and wasting away and I am not. And I also expected to be glowing and levitating off the ground, so far I have not sprouted wings and a halo, I have not gotten any faster when I run and I have not grown taller (I just threw that in because I always wanted to be taller). But the month is still young. I am sure by the end of February I will be taller, thinner, more super model-esque, have a faster car, run like the wind and be able to leap tall building in a single bound with a glass of wine in my hand (on March 1st of course).

Ok back to reality...


So for breakfast I pretty much overdosed on almonds...I had almond milk and strawberries dipped in almond butter. It was awesome! The strawberry gave a hint of sweetness and it paired well with the nutty flavor of the almonds. It may actually be my dessert of choice for the next 3 1/2 weeks, well because it is the closest thing I can have to dessert.


The rest of the day, until dinner, I have to admit I was pretty boring. I snacked on gluten free crackers and hard boiled eggs and I had a leftover detox tostada for lunch. However, after the gym tonight I was craving some extra protein so I made Cooking Light's Tuna, Arugula and Egg Salad. It is kind of like a play on a nicoise salad, however with a few twists. And I have to say it was pretty good. I enjoyed the acidity of the lemon juice and the dijon mustard, paired with the spicy arugula and the salty flavor of the capers. This was my first time having tuna that is preserved in oil and I have to say it was just ok. I think honestly I didn't care for the oily texture of the fish so next time I will tuna packed in water as I prefer the flakey consistency. However, all and all this salad was really good and obviously packed with protein.

Here is the recipe:


3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
6 cups loosely packed baby arugula
1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
1/2 cup very thinly vertically sliced red onion
1/4 cup chopped kalamata olives
1 tablespoon capers
2 hard-cooked large eggs, halved
1 (5-ounce) can light tuna in olive oil, drained
2 ounces plain pita chips

Preparation

1. Combine first 5 ingredients, stirring with a whisk.


2. Drizzle dressing over arugula; toss gently to coat.


3. Divide arugula evenly among 4 bowls; top evenly with tomatoes and next 5 ingredients (through tuna).

4. Serve with pita chips (I left these out as I could not find gluten free pita chips, but I am sure they are out there).


0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews