Powered by Blogger.
Thursday, February 13, 2014

Detox Day #13-Roasted Beet and Eggplant Salad

So today I was in an all day meeting at work and I almost fell off the detox wagon. I knew that breakfast and lunch were being provided, but I also knew that more than likely it was not going to be detox friendly. So I showed up this morning with my strawberry smoothie in hand. My co-worker sitting next to me, also my running buddy, is usually game to try anything I make, so I offered him a sip of my smoothie. As he was reaching for the glass, he asked me what was in it, and I was listing the ingredients-strawberries, protein powder...almond milk...I remembered that he has a horrible nut allergy...causing me to shreak and him to put down the smoothie.

 So for the rest of the day he accused me of trying to kill him...oopsie...not a good way to start a meeting that was supposed to be about team building. So he stuck to his bagel and cream cheese and I stuck to my smoothie. And let me just say I think this detox has given me a heightened sense of smell because I could smell those bagels as if I was baking them myself and pulling them fresh from the oven...torture.

For lunch while they ate lasagna and french bread, I warmed up my leftover poblano shrimp, which was good, but different....yes different.




So after the torturous day I really wanted to make some comfort food. I had found this recipe in Clean Eating for a Roasted Beet and Eggplant salad. The original recipe calls for goat cheese, but I figured I could omit that and substitute lemon juice for vinegar and I would be in business. Unfortunately I was mistaken, this recipe just lacked oomph...yes that is a technical term...it was kind of bland and boring. It has limited seasoning to begin with, but taking away the goat cheese, which probably provided a bit of a texture and flavor contrast, it was just downright eh. The eggplant seemed rubbery to me, I accidentally dyed the zucchini pink and the beets were good, but they were only a small component in a sea of mediocrity.

The eggplant is sliced and tossed with 3/4 tsp of olive oil and sea salt. Well it just needed more olive oil, unfortunately 3/4 tsp olive oil is just not enough for a whole eggplant, so it just turned out rubbery and chewy and kind of got stuck in the back of your throat. I know appetizing, right!


Next the beets are sliced and tossed with 3/4 tsp of olive oil and salt. The recipe calls for the zucchini to be tossed in the salad raw, however I am not a raw zucchini fan, so I came up with the brilliant idea to cook the zucchini with the beets. I added a little extra olive oil and salt to accommodate both vegetables and tossed them together...not taking into account the fact that beets dye everything...including my white and green zucchini....hmmm not so pretty.


The recipe says to roast the eggplant and beets in a 375 degree oven for 20 minutes. Well when I checked on the vegetables they were both pretty much raw, so I cooked them for closer to 40 minutes and honestly they could have even used longer...just my opinion.


Meanwhile, bring the lentils and water to a boil and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. I was actually the most concerned with this step of the recipe as I thought there was just no way that 20 minutes was long enough for lentils to be cooked through...but of course they were cooked perfectly.

Next toss the lentils with the cucumber, which I thought was a bit odd as the lentils are hot and they kind of made my cucumbers a bit soggy. Next toss the lentils and cucumbers with vinegar or in my case lemon juice (2tsp) and another 3/4 tsp of olive oil. That is just not enough oil and vinegar to create flavor in over 2 cups of lentils, so they tasted....well...just like plain lentils. Good nutty flavor, but a bit on the boring side.

Finally, to plate the salad, place lettuce leaves on a plate, put a serving of the lentil mixture and layer with the eggplant, beets and zucchini. And your meal is done. Well because it was so bland I ended up throwing some vegan blue cheese dressing on the salad, which kind of defeated the purpose of this light roasted salad, but at least it made it a little more exciting.

Here is the recipe:



Roasted Beet and Eggplant Salad
Makes: 4 servings

Ingredients:
1 lb eggplant, trimmed and sliced 1/2 inch thick
2 1/4 tsp olive oil, divided
1/2 tsp sea salt, divided
1/2 lb beets, trimmed, peeled, and sliced 1/2 inch thick
1 1/2 cups dried brown lentils, picked over
1 field-grown cucumber, seeded and chopped (Have you ever had a cucumber not grown in a field?)
1 zucchini, chopped
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
16 large leaves red leaf lettuce
3 oz soft herbed goat cheese, crumbled

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375F.

In a large bowl, toss eggplant, 3/4 tsp oil and 1/4 tsp salt.  Spread on a parchment-lined baking sheet.  In a second bowl, toss beets, 3/4 tsp oil and remaining 1/4 tsp salt.  Spread on a second parchment-lined baking sheet.  Transfer both sheets to oven and bake until eggplant is golden brown and edges of beets brown, about 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a medium pot, add lentils and enough water to cover by 2 inches.  Cover and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, until tender; add additional water as necessary to keep lentils covered.  Drain well.

In a medium bowl, combine cucumber, zucchini, lentils, vinegar, and remaining 3/4 tsp oil; toss well.  Divide lettuce among serving plates and top with eggplant, lentil mixture, beets, and cheese.

So to all of my fellow detoxers, I apologize as this one was just not a winner. I think it has some elements that we can all steal and use in our detox repertoire, but if I were you I would not follow this recipe. But on the positive, we are almost halfway through our detox month. Cheers!!

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews