Powered by Blogger.
Sunday, February 2, 2014

Detox Day #2- Detox Super Bowl Snack Jalapeno Lime Hummus

So today marked day #2 of my detox and also included a few firsts for me, the biggest one being my first sober Super Bowl. For the last few years, it has been my personal tradition to run a half marathon and then go out to celebrate with beers, guacamole, nachos, football and friends. However, considering I have a calf injury, I was unable to run and considering this was day #2 of my detox I was unable to drink or eat nachos. I actually probably could have made a version of guacamole that was detox friendly, however I decided to try and make hummus instead.



I do have a few observations for Detox Day #2:

  • I did not have to pee as much
  • I stayed full for longer. I didn't have the munchies as much as I normally do and I felt satisfied after eating the food I did.
  • I had plenty of energy and I was surprised by this as I expected at least a few caffeine withdrawal symptoms
  • I am not grumpy...yet
  • The Denver Broncos did not play a very good game of football


For some reason the detox does not allow for coffee, but does allow for green tea. So I started my morning with Jasmine Green Tea. It was cold for So Cal and I wanted something warm and cozy. Ok sure my knee jerk reaction was to pout a little bit because I couldn't have a latte or a chai tea, but I quickly started going through the pantry and found Jasmine tea as a replacement. 

After the tea I was ready to hit the gym for some brief cardio, but mainly weights. The next stop was the grocery store. I don't think I have ever spent so much time in a grocery store reading labels. I picked up everything that I thought I might be able to eat and I found that the majority of the time I was wrong, but I did end up with a cart full of vegetables, some berries, almond milk, almond butter, chicken and brown rice. I think this detox will require me to plan ahead a bit more in terms of meals and eating, but I am up for the challenge. 

I know they always say you shouldn't go grocery shopping hungry, well I did and I came home from the store starving. And sure I spent a good deal of money on groceries, but I don't know if that was because I was hungry or if I just needed to restock the fridge and pantry with foods I could eat. 


For lunch I made some brown rice, beans, avocado and salsa. I just mixed it all together and it was really good, really filling and really satisfying. I plan on eating the leftovers for lunch tomorrow. 


Now for the challenge of the day. I knew I was going to a Super Bowl party and I knew there wasn't anything on the menu I could eat. So I decided to make a Jalapeno Lime Hummus. The recipe originated from Gluten Free Goddess, however I did have to make a few adjustments to accomplish the detox restrictions. This recipe was really good! It had a kick to it from the jalapenos, it was filling and I found brown rice crackers that I could serve with it, which added a nice flavor contrast. Even my non-detoxing friends agreed that it had good flavor. 


This recipe so incredibly easy as you just throw all of the ingredients in a food processor and voila!

Ingredients:

1 15-oz. can chilled chickpeas or garbanzo beans, drained, rinsed
Juice of one large fresh lime
1-2 tablespoons peanut butter  
** I used almond butter instead (just 1T) and it worked great and added a nice flavor to it **
3 cloves fresh garlic
2 heaping tablespoons jarred jalapeƱos, drained 
**I used closer to 3-4T and I added a little of the juice because my hummus was a little thick **
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
** I used 2T to make a creamier texture **
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
Pinch of cumin, to taste
Red pepper flakes, to taste
Pinch of sea salt, to taste

Instructions:

Combine all of the ingredients in a food processor until smooth.


I was really not very hungry for dinner after my protein packed meals from the day, so I just had a glass of Vanilla Almond Milk and called it good.  I had never had Almond Milk before and I really liked it. Do not expect it to be like milk, other than the color, but it has good flavor and it is not chalky like Soy Milk can be. I could easily use this to make a Decaf Chai Tea Latte (if I could find Decaf Chai Tea) or to make a smoothie or if I could ever find cereal without my avoid list ingredients, it would be great on cereal as well.


Yes, it was odd to be cocktail free for Super Bowl, but I survived and it wasn't too bad....well the game was bad, but the lack of beer was ok, I should say. I am now going to climb into bed with Miss Kitty, my electric blanket and my DVD of Downton Abbey Season 2 (my current addiction). Cheers!

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews