Powered by Blogger.
Monday, February 24, 2014

Detox Day #24-Grilled Flank Steak w/Avocado Tomato Salsa

So here I am on Day #24 and I feel tired. I felt so energized, even as recently as a few days ago, but the last couple of days have me feeling wiped out. Sure I may be coming down with a cold, but even before I started to feel sick I felt just exhausted after a workout. I am not sure if there is something in my diet that I am not getting enough of or if the very fact that it's winter just makes me want to hibernate (even though it was 79 degrees here this weekend)....but any which way I am dragging.



I have also started to recognize just how much my personal reward system interfaced with food and wine. Oh great run...have a beer. Long day at work, but I was super productive...glass of wine with the girls. Finished first draft of my book...chocolate cookies. And don't get me wrong I have loved every minute of it, but I am just not so sure that is a healthy relationship with food and/or alcohol. So it has been interesting changing my reward system. Oh long run....bubble bath. Long day at work...hot cup of tea before bed...that makes me get up and pee 7 times in the middle of the night. Just wrote my blog...electric blanket and sweet dreams. Yes, it has been an interesting progression. And I am curious as the end of this detox gets closer and closer to see what type of happy medium I come up with...starting on Sunday...Saturday all bets are off.

So yesterday I bbq'd with my bestie. Sure there was some things I couldn't have so we made the bbq detox friendly. I found a recipe in Cooking Light for Grilled Flank Steak with Avocado Tomato Salsa and she made asparagus and mushrooms. Yum!


The steak was super easy. Just sprinkle with salt and pepper.


And actually I also used some Seasonest Original Blend Seasoning. The company is from Georgia and it is a family run business. However, the seasoning can also be ordered on-line. The seasonings started because the family loved to cook and the owners father "Mr J" went to New Orleans, loved the Cajun flavors and came back and created this seasoning. Mr J is also pictured on the label. The seasonings are natural, have no additives and are low in salt. The one I used for the steak is a combination of salt, paprika, garlic, cayenne and other spices. It game it just a little bit of zing.


The salsa called for a yellow and a red tomato, however considering it is February, all I could find was red, so I went with it. I combined tomato, avocado, olive oil, red onion, a jalapeno (the recipe didn't call for it but I thought a little spice would be good), lime juice, salt and pepper.

Here is the actual recipe:


  • 1/2 cup diced avocado 
  • 1/2 cup diced red tomato 
  • 1/2 cup diced yellow tomato
  • 1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
  • 2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon (I did not use the tarragon because I couldn't find fresh)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil 
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided 
  • (1 1/2-pound) flank steak, trimmed
  • Cooking spray

Preparation

  1. 1. Prepare grill to medium-high heat.
  2. 2. Combine first 7 ingredients, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
  3. 3. Sprinkle steak evenly with 1/2 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Place steak on a grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 6 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Remove steak from grill; let stand 5 minutes. Cut steak across the grain into thin slices; sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt. Serve with salsa.


It was the perfect combination! The steak was cooked perfectly, about 5 minutes on each side. It was tender and juicy. The salsa gave it a little spice and the super fresh vegetables created a really nice contrast. It definitely made me thankful that I live somewhere that allows me to bbq in February and the grilled steak and salsa didn't leave me missing my pre-detox days...ok sure the glass of wine my best friend had in her hand made me miss it a little bit, but not the meal. Happy Monday and Cheers!

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews