Powered by Blogger.
Monday, February 3, 2014

Detox Day #3-The Lessons Continue & Chicken Guacamole "Tostadas"

So this was my first detox work day and initially I was thrilled by how much energy I had when I woke up. However, that enthusiasm soon dissipated as I walked into my office and started slogging through the 150 emails that had accumulated during my Vegas play weekend. I got to work at 0700 and by about 0707 I was wishing I could drink coffee. I don't know if it was real or imaginary, but I swear I could smell it. So I made myself a hot cup of chamomile tea...which I normally love with honey...oh wait nope, no honey...so it was plain...just not quite the same.



However, my food day quickly looked up when I had these raspberries for breakfast. They were seriously the best raspberries on the planet. Sure I don't know if this detox is wreaking havoc on my sensory skills, but they were amazing!


That paired with some bland plain oatmeal and hard boiled eggs and I was a happy camper. On a side note, I do have to say that one of the things I have noticed is that I feel like I do have heightened sense of taste. Not only did the raspberries taste especially sweet to me, the oatmeal tasted very salty and it had no flavoring added to it. Hmmm...


So on day #3 I have a few new observations:

  • I never remember my dreams, however last night I distinctly remember two dreams about pizza. Forget caffeine and alcohol, I am going through pizza withdrawals
  • Drinking water does not help you feel less sleepy at work, it just makes you pee more
  • I miss snack food
  • Salt is now like crack cocaine for me as it is truly my only guilty pleasure

For lunch I had leftover beans and rice so I spared you another picture of it.

However, after work I went for a run and decided to make myself some real food. So tonight I made Chicken Guacamole Tostadas from Cooking Light. This would truly be the perfect meal for someone who is going through the detox, but still has to cook for others, as it easily has a detox and a traditional preparation, also known as tostada shell and no tostada shell.

 And it was so good! I love fresh salsa and this one was so good with a hint of spice from the jalapeno, saltiness from the salt and that subtle herb flavor from the cilantro. It also had guacamole, which I was craving since I didn't get any yesterday for the Super Bowl. And finally it had shredded chicken that was tossed with lime and smoked paprika, which gives it a grill like flavor without grilling, which is a super cool trick. 

So to start with, make the guacamole, which consists of 1 avocado, mashed in a bowl. Add 2T chopped tomato, 1T diced onion, 1T lime juice, salt and diced garlic. 


Next make the salsa, which consists of 1 cup chopped tomato, 2T diced onion, 1T lime juice, salt, 2T chopped cilantro and 1T diced jalapeno. 


Finally take cooked chicken and shred. You can use a rotisserie chicken if you want to save time and places like Whole Foods and Bristol Farms often have free range organic chickens if you are following the detox. Toss the shredded chicken with 1T lime juice and 1/4 tsp smoked paprika. 


If you are making a traditional tostada, take a tostada shell and put a layer of guacamole on the base, sprinkle with chicken and top with salsa. And if you are making the detox version, just layer the ingredients on a plate. 

Traditional Tostada
Detox Tostada
This was so good, so fresh, so satisfying and so normal tasting. It was like a breath of detox fresh air. Cheers with Calistoga!

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews