Powered by Blogger.
Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Detox Day #25-Chicken Curry

I can hardly believe that my detox is winding down and coming to a close. And I am ready for the end to be near. I am looking forward to red wine, chocolate cake and blue cheese with eager anticipation. I am not quite sure how I am going to proceed after I eat those three things, however I figure I have until Sunday to figure that out. I think my friends are equally as excited for this detox to be over as they are missing girl talk and a cocktail time, as am I.




So tonight I decided to make Cooking Light's Chicken Curry and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. The recipe calls for red curry paste and I have very little experience with the paste. In the past I have used curry powder which can be somewhat overpowering and has a smell that permeates your entire house. However, the red curry paste is more subtle and a little bit on the sweeter side. I was a little concerned when I tasted the red curry mixture alone as it was a tad bit overpowering in my mouth, but once it was paired with the coconut milk it mellowed out. This dish was really good with a hint of spice from the curry, a citrus flavor from the lime, saltiness from the soy sauce (I used gluten free) and a little bit of sweetness from the Stevia (the recipe originally called for sugar). Plus it is a perfectly balanced meal with a protein, carb and vegetable...easy peasy!


So to begin with, saute the chicken in canola oil. Sprinkle with salt. Cook until browned.


Add the bell pepper, which is cut into strips and cook for approximately 5 minutes or until tender but still slightly crunchy. Remove the chicken and pepper from the pan.


To make the sauce, combine the lime juice, soy sauce, red curry paste and Stevia.


Add the curry paste mixture and coconut milk to the pan and cook until thickened.


Add the chicken back into the pan for 2 minutes to heat through and meld the flavors. Serve over rice.


This was fast, easy and different. It is the perfect weeknight meal as it mixes it up a little bit without being too over the top exotic.

Here is the actual recipe:

1 tablespoon canola oil
3 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups green bell pepper strips (about 1 large)
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons less-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons red curry paste
1 teaspoon sugar
1 (14-ounce) can light coconut milk
3 cups hot cooked long-grain rice
Lime wedges (optional)
Preparation

1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Sprinkle chicken evenly with salt. Add chicken to pan; cook 6 minutes or until browned, turning once. Add bell pepper to pan; sauté 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove chicken mixture from pan. Combine juice, soy sauce, curry paste, and sugar in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add juice mixture and coconut milk to pan; bring to a boil. Cook 12 minutes or until slightly thick. Return chicken mixture to pan; cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve over rice. Garnish with lime wedges, if desired.


Now for a few new detox observations:

  • I haven't really lost weight, but my boobs have gotten smaller. Gee thanks! 
  • I don't feel bloated and my stomach is flat...still looking for my 6 pack abs, but it is flat. 
  • I sleep incredible and I dream all the time. 
  • I don't want to get out of bed...oh wait that has nothing to do with the detox...I am not a morning person and I never want to get out of bed.
  • I still get sore from working out, but I don't feel as stiff and geriatric after working out. 
  • I am thirsty more often, like I crave water more. 
  • I feel wild and crazy when I eat strawberries for a snack. Yes, I know it is a sad day when strawberries are the excitement in your life, but you have to take what you can get. 
  • I miss protein bars...yeah I know it is an odd thing to miss. 
  • I am not as hungry all the time...I use to be a snacker and I just don't need to anymore. 
Ok well have an amazing week and cheers! My countdown to my Friday night glass of wine at midnight has officially started. Cheers!

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews