Powered by Blogger.
Friday, February 21, 2014

Detox Day #21-My Laundry List of Life Surprises & Kale Turkey Rice Bowl

I am so excited that I have only one more week left on this detox. I am officially over it, yes that is my declaration for the night. I am ready to eat cheese and bread and drink wine, at least for one day. So I am so looking forward to March 1st.



So tonight I made Food Networks Kale Turkey Rice Bowl and I have to say I wasn't so sure of this recipe. I haven't had much experience with kale, the flavors were interesting and well sometimes ground turkey makes me want to gag a little bit. Plus I wasn't sure of the flavors as it combined cilantro, jalapeno, cumin and almonds, but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. The flavors were herbaceous, intense and had a kick of spice. Loved it! Which got me thinking of my blog topic for the night....life's surprises...I have had quite a few during my time here and I thought I would share a few with you all.

1. I thought I was going to be tall and I was seriously surprised when I stopped growing at 5'4" (on a good day, I am probably closer to 5'3")
2. I thought I was going to be a ballerina or a foreign correspondent or a trophy wife and so I am surprised that I run a 911 Communications Center and that I am a food blogger at night. Hmmm...
3. A few years ago when I got up in the middle of the night to use the restroom, while climbing back into bed I whacked my head on the dresser next to the bed....boy was I surprised...and it hurt and did not look so good.
4. Every year when my birthday comes around, it is August 16th just in case you were wondering, I am always surprised by my age, which is why I pretend I am a different age...Surprise!
5. I am surprised I am a runner...I was never a very athletic kid and so the fact that I REALLY enjoy running is always a surprise to me.
6. I played piano for 7 years and I do not remember a single thing. I don't remember how to read music, don't remember a single song I played and I barely remember what a piano looks like. Surprise!
7. I am surprised every morning by this giant squishy face that is staring at me as I wake up. Miss Kitty loves to surprise me!
8. I am surprised when I finish a bottle of wine by myself, yes we are going to call that a surprise.
9. I am surprised that I agreed to this detox....what was I thinking?
10. I am surprised that I can't come up with #10, any ideas?

This is a bunch
Ok back to the Kale Turkey Bowl. To begin with you throw a bunch (like a bunch as in the whole package and not a bunch as in a lot) of cilantro, 3T of sliced almonds and 1 jalapeno (you can decide whether or not you want to seed it, depending on how hot you want it) into a blender and puree. Just so you know I did seed my jalapeno and there was plenty of spice and flavor, however if you get a mild jalapeno I would throw in the seeds.


Meanwhile cook the turkey in oil until browned.


Add the diced onion and the 2 cloves of chopped garlic and the cumin and cook for 6 minutes.


Next add 1 1/2 cups water, the cilantro mix, the kale (I used a kale salad because I couldn't find it sold any other way and it worked fine) and the red potatoes. So I have to admit that I added the red potatoes and as my dish was cooking a light bulb went off in my head and I realized that my detox did not allow for "white potatoes" so when I served it I left the potatoes off because I am a detox purist.


Cover the mixture and bring it to a boil. Uncover and simmer for 15 minutes.

Plate the turkey mixture over a bed of rice and garnish with leftover cilantro.

Here is the actual recipe:

Ingredients
1 bunch cilantro, tough stems removed
1 jalapeno pepper, halved (remove seeds for less heat)
3 tablespoons sliced almonds
Kosher salt
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 pound 93 percent lean ground turkey
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 pound red-skinned potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 5 -ounce package chopped kale (about 6 cups packed)
2 1/2 cups cooked white or brown rice
Directions
Puree all but 3 tablespoons cilantro with 1/2 cup water, the jalapeno, almonds and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a blender until smooth.

Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the turkey and 1/2 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring and breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 4 minutes.

Add the onion, garlic and cumin and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 6 minutes. Stir in 1 1/2 cups water, the pureed cilantro mixture, the potatoes and kale. Cover and bring to a boil, then uncover and reduce the heat to medium. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Season with salt and serve over the rice. Top with the reserved cilantro.


Well I am going off to submerge myself into Downton Abby or maybe the Olympics or maybe life will throw a surprise at me....hmmm. Cheers!


0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews