Powered by Blogger.
Saturday, February 22, 2014

Detox Day #22-Greek Salad with Roasted Salmon

Since I am feeling the food/wine loss more deeply right now on this detox I decided to try and make some foods this week that are a little more reminiscent of the way I eat when I am not on a detox. Although I have very much enjoyed cooking and exploring foods outside my comfort zone I needed a little bit of home this week, I just needed to see if I could eat healthy and not feel quite so deprived. I am not sure if that is possible because I want wine and chocolate and those are both things that are really hard to find substitutes for. Ya know there are some things you just can't fake...what?



So today I volunteered to make my bestie lunch and we normally always have salmon together so I found a recipe for a Greek Salad with Roasted Salmon in Food and Wine magazine and decided to give it a go. It was so good! The salmon was cooked perfectly, the salad was crisp and the lemon in the dressing complimented both the salmon and the greens perfectly. The kalamata olives gave it a nice salty flavor and it was easy to make it detox friendly as I just left the feta cheese off my plate. Yes, I really did want a glass of Chardonnay with this salad or a nice Pinot Grigio because it would have paired perfectly but I stuck with bubbly water...I have 6 more days I am going to conquer this thing....if it's the last thing I do.


To begin with, sprinkle the salmon with olive oil, salt and pepper and place it on a rack over a baking sheet. The rack helps the fat drip to the baking sheet and away from the food. This was a technique we used often in culinary school and it works really well. Roast the salmon for 12-15 minutes in a 450 degree oven.

Next make the dressing, which consists of 3T lemon juice, olive oil (the recipe calls for 1/2 cup but I used a 1/4 cup and it was perfect), chopped kalamata olives and salt and pepper.



In a large bowl, combine the chopped romaine lettuce, 2 tomatoes, 1 cucumber, 1/2 red onion that is sliced very thin and 2T chopped chives.

To plate the salad, put the greens on a plate, place the salmon on top, sprinkle with dressing and a smattering of feta cheese (if you are using it).


Here is the actual recipe from Food and Wine Magazine:


1 tablespoon chopped oregano, plus 7 oregano sprigs
One 1 1/2-pound salmon fillet
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3/4 cup pitted kalamata olives, chopped
1 head romaine lettuce, coarsely chopped
2 small tomatoes, cut into wedges or large chunks
1 Kirby cucumber, cut into 1/2-inch dice
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons chopped chives
6 ounces feta cheese, sliced

Preheat the oven to 450°. Set a rack over a baking sheet and arrange the oregano sprigs in the center.
Rub the salmon all over with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place the salmon skin side up on top of the oregano sprigs and roast for 12 to 15 minutes, until the salmon is just cooked through. Let cool slightly, then discard the oregano sprigs and salmon skin; break the salmon into large pieces.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the chopped oregano and lemon juice. Gradually whisk in the remaining 1/2 cup of olive oil, then whisk in the olives and season with salt and pepper. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the olive vinaigrette. Add the lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, red onion and chives to the large bowl and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
Transfer the salad to a platter. Top with the salmon and feta. Spoon the reserved olive vinaigrette over the salmon and serve.
MAKE AHEAD The vinaigrette can be refrigerated overnight.

And just in case you were wondering what I plan on eating on March 1st as the clock strikes midnight, it will go a little something like this:

0000 (midnight)-glass of Pinot Noir
0015(12:15)-dark chocolate
sleep with visions of chocolate and wine dancing through my head...
I will get my cheese fix the next day!
Cheers!



0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews