Powered by Blogger.
Sunday, February 23, 2014

Detox Day #23-Running & Overnight Honey Almond Multi-Grain Cereal

As many of you know I am truly addicted to running. It is as if I found myself and found my niche when I starting tying on those running shoes. I was not a very athletic kid, didn't play team sports even though I had a few failed attempts and I didn't feel compelled to search out physical endeavors. When I was in college I taught aerobics a little bit and started working out regularly because the guy I was dating at the time was a huge fitness fanatic. I took ballet classes as an adult, followed the step aerobics craze and spent a lot of time on cardio machines, but still I wouldn't have described myself as a fan of exercise.




However, when I moved down to Southern California I started running, I mean truly running. I ran my first 5k my first year here and I have been addicted ever since. There is something about turning up the music, putting on those running clothes and knowing that you have 30min-2 hours of escape time. This time has become precious to me as it is my time to think, to dream, to celebrate and to cry. I have been running now for almost 9 years and it has been my little slice of heaven. This is what I love about running:

1. It is the only time you can wear neon clothes without judgment...well at least at my age.
2. It is the only sport where you pay crazy entrance fees and you get a tshirt...often times that you dislike...that is probably valued at $5 but you are excited about it!
3. You hurt....like every muscle in your body hurts...and you start to love that feeling, crave that feeling, push harder to get that feeling...yes, I know I sound like a crazy person but that is the truth.
4. You travel to run...I have been to Atlanta, Phoenix, San Diego, Monterey, Carlsbad, Santa Barbara and countless other locals to run...sure I could do this in my own backyard, but what is the fun in that.
5. It is the one thing in my life that I am neurotic about it. I have a pre-race ritual, I am superstitious about what I eat, what I wear, what I drink, how far I walk the day before and what I think. Crazy!
6. It is the perfect reason to celebrate! I ran a 5k...time for bacon and mimosas!! I ran a half marathon...I get beer and nachos! I pretty much think when I finally conquer my fear of a full marathon there should be a bottle of Cristal waiting for me as I cross that finish line. Just sayin'
7. I can wear super short shorts and not feel like a whore
8. I have the right of way...for once cars have to look out for me....which is why I wear the neon clothes because I can be a little head up ass when it comes to obeying traffic laws.
9. You get to see the world from a different perspective. Often times we zoom by sights and sounds in our cars, oblivious to the wonders of the world. However, when you are running it is slower, more controlled and you have plenty of time to take it all in.
10. I have a sense of accomplishment every time I turn on my Garmin watch, lace up my Adidas Supernovas, put on my Adidas running pants and hit the pavement. There is nothing better than taking off clothes that are drenched in sweat, feeling invigorated, getting into a hot shower and knowing that you conquered that last hill, ran your fastest race or you enjoyed your time out there.

So I discovered one of the easiest breakfast recipes on the planet. I am one of those people, on work mornings, who sleeps in until the very last second and then rushes around like a crazy person trying to get ready. So especially during the week breakfast is a hard meal for me to pull off. But I found this recipe for overnight cereal and I decided to give it a try.


Last night before bed I combined barley, steel cut oats and water in a measuring cup. I covered them with plastic wrap and put them in the fridge, going off to dream land.


This morning I took them out of the fridge only to find that a lot of the water was missing and the barley looked plump and engorged. I put the measuring cup in the microwave....the recipe said for 6 minutes but I found that they were done after 3 minutes.

Next I added cinnamon, nutmeg, Stevia instead of honey to stay true to my detox and almonds and dang I was impressed. This was a comforting, warm bowl of cereal with a little bit of spice from the cinnamon and  nutmeg, a little nutty flavor from the almonds, hint of sweetness from the Stevia and it was hearty from the grains.

This is a dish that is definitely going to be on my breakfast circuit-easy, takes no time at all and good for me!! Talk about a win/win!!

Here is the actual recipe:


1/3 cup steel-cut oats (such as McCann's)
2 tablespoons uncooked pearl barley
1 1/4 cups water
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 tablespoon sliced almonds, toasted
1 tablespoon honey
Preparation

1. Combine oats, barley, and 1 1/4 cups water in a microwave-safe 4-cup bowl. Cover and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
2. Uncover bowl, and stir in salt. Microwave, uncovered, at HIGH for 6 minutes or until most of liquid is absorbed, stirring well after 3 minutes. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and nutmeg. Top with almonds and honey

Well after all that running talk it is time for me to hit the road. Have a wonderful Sunday! Cheers!



0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews