Powered by Blogger.
Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Detox Day #18-The History of Detoxing and My Humus Obsession Continues...

Doesn't this look like a fish tank minus the fish. It is just water, baking soda and garbanzo beans. 

So I just got home from the gym and I have to be at work at 0630 so the idea of cooking tonight just didn't sound like fun...yes, even I have those nights...you are so not alone. However, I ran out of hummus and as you know I am pretty much obsessed right now...tasty, easy source of protein and it's on the "ok" list so it is pretty much a win/win. But this time I decided to go with the original recipe. Up until now I have used canned garbanzo beans and I found a recipe in Food Network magazine that calls for dried garbanzo beans. Yes, it does take more time as they have to soak for 12-24 hours, however they are supposed to create a more creamy hummus...and since I have pretty much become a hummus connoisseur during the last 2 weeks...I will be the judge of that. 




So my garbanzo beans are sitting in 8 cups of water and 1T of baking soda as I type. On a side note, I don't think I have ever seen a dried garbanzo beans, they are smaller, which makes sense, since they expand as they are cooked, but I just never gave it any thought. Interesting.


Since I had some down time I decided to look up the history of detoxing. I kind of just assumed it was a modern day fad that was related to our never ending quest for the perfect body, optimum health and well what I like to think of as the rehab obsession. Has anyone else noticed that today people go to rehab for all sorts of reasons? Sex addition-rehab. Tired-rehab. Stress-rehab. Caught with a younger woman-rehab. Bad break-up-rehab. Whatever happened to rehab being for drug and alcohol addictions? Maybe I am just getting old. But the above listed rehab reasons are things that I call life, just sayin'.

Anyway, back to detoxing. So get this detoxing has been around since the times of the Ancient Egyptians. They believed that decomposition in the intestines caused fever and that by detoxing sickness could be eliminated.  Detoxing was also mentioned in the Bible and there is evidence of it with the Ancient Greeks as well. Hippocrates, who some say is the father of modern medicine, mentioned detoxing as well. It has also be an integral part of the holistic medical science from India, Ayurveda, which dates from 3,000-5,000 BC. 

The goal of detoxification is to eliminate toxins from the body  (bloodstream, liver, kidneys and intestines) through strict diet. The modern day thought is that we all breath in and ingest toxins everyday that can cause things such as fatigue, indigestion or headaches and so by detoxing we are all hoping to purify the body and help it function better. The more I read about detoxing, there is also a mental component as it is supposed to assist in obtaining mental clarity, well sure it is because I am not drinking wine. Detoxing and/or fasting has also been an integral part of the yoga culture and many believe it is part of the path towards self-realization. As for me, I am usually just happy when I can do the downward dog without falling over...but that is just me. 

I know that there are a lot of people who believe the practice of detoxing is just mumbo jumbo (yes, I am sure that is a scientific term)  and to be honest with you until I tried it I probably would have agreed. But I feel different. I feel healthy, rested, clear, less bloated and just better. And I am sure that there are some out there that are just crazy fads like the whole lemon juice and chili pepper idea, but I have also found that if it works for you, it makes you happy and it makes you feel good...Just Do It...Nike knew what it was talking about. Cheers my friends!


 

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews