Powered by Blogger.
Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Detox Day #19-Wild Rice & Mushroom Soup with Chicken



So I have to say other than my detox tostadas I think this is my second favorite detox recipe. I used a smoked rotisserie chicken from Whole Foods and it gave this soup a smokey flavor and pair that with the slightly caramelized taste of the veggies, the nutty wild rice and the salty chicken broth, it was pure detox comfort food. Never thought I would combine the words "detox"+"comfort food," but for this recipe it works. It definitely allows you to walk away from the detox dinner table without feeling deprived in anyway...well sure I am still fiendin for a piece of dark chocolate, but other than that I do not feel deprived.


To begin with, cook the wild rice in broth, according to the package directions. I did leave out the spice packet from the rice box because I wanted to be able to control and flavor my soup to my liking.


Next saute onion, red bell pepper, carrots, garlic and dried thyme in olive oil.


The recipe says to add butter to the pan, but I just left that step out because it is not detox approved, obviously. Add the mushrooms and saute with the rest of the vegetables.



Next add the chicken broth, shredded rotisserie chicken, cooked wild rice, salt and pepper and cook until heated through. I know it is seriously easy, but it was so good!!


Here is the actual recipe:

4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth, divided
1 (2.75-ounce) package quick-cooking wild rice (such as Gourmet House)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup prechopped onion
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/3 cup matchstick-cut carrots
1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon butter
2 (4-ounce) packages presliced exotic mushroom blend (such as shiitake, cremini, and oyster)
2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper

Preparation

1. Bring 1 1/3 cups broth to a boil in a medium saucepan; add rice to pan. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and next 4 ingredients (through thyme) to pan; sauté 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in butter and mushrooms; sauté 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Add remaining 2 2/3 cups broth, rice, chicken, salt, and pepper to pan; cook 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring occasionally.


The other thing I tried today was this rice top ramen that I got at Whole Foods and it was really good! Well the part I got to try was really good. The container actually exploded in my gym bag and caused my yoga clothes to become encased in top ramen noodles and broth. I took it as a sign to just come home after work. For some reason I just thought people would be really turned off to doing the tree pose next to someone who has noodles stuck to the butt of their yoga pants...just sayin.'



I do have a few other detox observations to share with you. As I get farther and farther into this process I have more and more epiphany's. Here are a few of my recent ones:

  • I just started realizing how many of my social events surround cocktails...hmmm. What is everyone doing March 1st? haha
  • Being on a detox has similar symptoms to being pregnant-always hungry, always peeing and feeling odd (thanks for pointing that out EG and I am very thankful that I am positive all of this is caused by a detox and not another reason)
  • I hit a bit of an emotional roller coaster over the weekend. Initially I was attributing it to the full moon, but I honestly think it was the detox or a combination of moon and detox. My Mom told me that being on a detox is like peeling back the layers of the onion. I thought she meant they both make you cry...oopsie my bad. 
  • I do not need sleep. I couldn't sleep last night because I was afraid of sleeping through my alarm clock, however I never hit a wall today and I felt totally fine the entire day.
  • I have some odd dreams. I have been notorious for not remembering my dreams, however on this detox I remember them. Sure the most vivid dream involved a bulldog eating my cellphone, but remembering a dream is remembering a dream, beggars can't be choosers, right?
For those of you who are going through this detox with me, anything you want to share? Please tell me I am not alone in this craziness!!

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews