Powered by Blogger.
Thursday, February 27, 2014

Detox Day #27-Shrimp Ceviche Tostadas

I see the light at the end of the detox tunnel. I have 28 hours until I have a glass of wine and dark chocolate in my hand...yes, I plan on double fisting and yup I have counted...and I plan on continuing the countdown.



So tonight I made a Sunset magazine recipe for Shrimp Ceviche Tostadas. And I have to say the recipe was just ok. I had high expectations for it, but it was a little bit bland and I ended up dousing it in salsa. I do have to say that I bought the ingredients for this recipe on a warm sunny So Cal day, however tonight when I made it So Cal is preparing for "Storm Watch 2014."

So I am not sure if my mediocre feelings about this recipe is psychological, weather related, truth or all of the above. I do have to say that I did enjoy how fresh and crisp this recipe was, however the only spice came from the serrano pepper and the only real seasoning was from the lime juice and dried oregano. It just seemed to be missing something and even after I added salt, I wanted something more...ok sure maybe it was the beer in this picture...which by the way I only used as a photo prop...how sad is that.

This recipe is very easy. You actually buy cooked shrimp so all you have to do is cut them up.


Chop the following vegetables-red onion, serrano pepper and actually I used a jalapeno because the grocery store didn't have a serrano, avocado, tomato, cilantro and cucumber.


Season the vegetable/shrimp mixture with the lime juice, dried oregano and in my case salt.

Serve on tostado shells and sprinkle with feta cheese.


Now for my detox version I served the shrimp/vegetable mixture over a bed of lettuce to eliminate the corn and I left the feta cheese out of the recipe all together.

Here is the actual recipe:


Ingredients

1 pound cooked medium (36 to 42 per lb.) shrimp, cut in half lengthwise
1 medium tomato, chopped
1 avocado, chopped
1 serrano chile, halved, seeded, and sliced
1/2 English cucumber, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
Juice of 1 lime
8 tostada shells
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
Preparation

1. Mix together everything except tostada shells and cheese in a medium bowl. Let mixture marinate 10 minutes.
2. Spoon shrimp mixture onto center of shells, dividing evenly. Sprinkle with cheese.


So this recipe has a lot of potential, but I think if I did it again I would prefer shrimp that were sauteed in garlic and I would do more of a guacamole with the tomato, avocado, cilantro, red onion, lime juice, jalapeno and salt. Add just serve the chopped cucumber on top of it all as kind of a relish. Hmmm...maybe I will try that next time.


I am sick of almond butter that the sight of it makes me want to cringe. I feel like during the past 27 days I had almond butter on everything, at least once a day and sometimes twice a day. And so today for breakfast I needed something that did not include almond butter. And boy did I get lucky I found gluten free bread with avocado, salt and pepper. It was Yum!  Wish I had found that 27 days ago!! Cheers with my bottle of water...until tomorrow!


0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews